Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can get ride of him

Ok my exHusband is sleeping in my sofa i have asked him to leave many times he wont .Its my home i pay everything so its not like he is part owner .I have threatend him with calling the cops but he know i wont cuz i will never let the kids see such a thing I dont love him he knows it he is too comfortible Living off of me .Any Ideas


Asked by hush84 at 12:47 AM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Relationships

Level 9 (359 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (13)
  • How long's he been there? And how old are the kids? I woulnd't want my kids to know that I'd kicked their father out but on the other hand, if he has a job, he should have his own place. I'd give him a deadline and stick to it. I'd call the police department or a lawyer and find out what I had to do to make sure he sticks to the deadline (certified letter so there's proof he knows he's got certain amount of time).
    It was nice of you to let him borrow your couch, and I'm sure the kids liked having Dad around all the time and that's going to be hard for them to readjust to him being gone again (if that's their Dad that is).

    Answer by lisa_ann_p at 8:15 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

  • OK then what you do is wait one night for the kids to be asleep ask him to leave if he refuses don't make a HUGE fuss wait until he's asleep and call the cops. That way the kids wont see it and he will not have time to make a BIG thing out of it. I hope you are able to stand up and BE HAPPY.. If your not happy your kids probably notice..


    Answer by TaterNJo0sMommy at 12:50 AM on Apr. 12, 2009


    Answer by trelyn at 12:50 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

  • The part about this is LEGALLY (if your laws are like new yorks laws), if he's been there for longer than 2 weeks, he doesn't have to leave. It sucks. The best thing you can do is go get an eviction notice and if he doesn't leave after his given 30 days, fire marshalls will remove him. Good luck!

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

  • I agree with the above.....if you've allowed him to stay there you will have to get him evicted- as stupid as that sounds!

    Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 1:12 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

  • How do i evict some one

    Answer by hush84 at 1:13 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

  • you are the "landlord" so as long as you can prove that he doesn't pay you rent or compensate for rent in any way you should be able to just give him written notice (keep a copy for yourself) telling him he has 30 days to move out. if he doesn't call the non-emergency police number on day 30 tell them he was given 30 days notice and will not leave. (have the kids with someone when you do this that way there is no drama for them)

    Answer by vabchmommy at 1:34 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

  • i say 30 days b/c in most of the states i've lived in that is the required amount of notice, you may want to look into it and see if its shorter or longer in your state

    Answer by vabchmommy at 1:35 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

  • And make sure you change the locks!!

    Answer by feesharose at 2:19 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

  • Make a few phone calls finding out what your rights are. Have the kids stay the night with family or friends. Then Ask him to leave ... Tell him the kids are not going be home tonight so there is No need for him being over. Then if he don't go. Call the cops. He's playing you , and your letting him. Call his Bluff . But do make a few phone calls find out how you stand ( It will make you feel better and give you more of a back bone if you know where you stand. ) Good luck

    Answer by Shaqbe4u at 2:56 AM on Apr. 12, 2009