Can Post partum depression happen down the road? sort of posted in another group

can you get this down the road? or is it something that happens right away??
like can it happen about 2 months after having your baby??

im kinda worried about it. i dont feel beautiful anymore, my self esteem is so low. i feel repulsed at myself. im upset about it all the time. i dont even like to look at myself i dont like my personality since ive given birth....im also around my 2 sisters and my mom who are amazingly beautiful outgoing, happy, friendly and perky all the time.

does that sound like something i should worry about? or is this just a normal thing to go through??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Relationships

• Yeaup it can happend after birth for later 1 year after having my son i got deppresion but it was diagnosed as post partum depresion because if its not delt with things get worse and it did to a point that i needed meds i only needed them for a month but if that if what you feel you should see some one
    hush84

Answer by hush84 at 12:55 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I agree with pp. It takes a while for the hormones to get back in line after having a baby. I was baskward. I had depression before I got pregnant, but since while I was pregnant and ever since I haven't had problems with it. It's all sbout your body chemicals. If one is out of whack, it can really throw you off. I would talk to your doc.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 3:27 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Sounds like yours is a vanity issue, but see the dr. You're seeing the outer beauty as if it's the most important thing about you and your family. After ever baby you have, your hips are going to get atleast a tiny bit wider (unless you're wide framed to start with), your hair, nails, boobs, it all changes with each baby. When I had my first baby I was terribly upset when my hair was falling out by the handful, my face was broken out and I was left with the "pregnancy mask" and no, I don't look like I did then, I'm not as pretty. But I am a different person than I was then. I'm so beautiful on the inside and I'm incredibly awesome... my kids think I can fix anything, and I know everything and it's amazing how one little kiss can heal their pain... I am awesome and they think I'm beautiful.
    It's hard to come to grips after the first baby, with all of the changes, but you'll find out that you're awesome too, inside and out
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 9:22 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I hear it can come on and last up to 2 yrs after the baby is born.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:26 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Yes I think it can..Everything changes with you (body wise) and if you feel insecure about yourself, even if you weren't vain in the first place it could make you feel different. Your life goes through changes already, and then to look at yourself and feel like though changes are even changing you it could be hard to deal with... It might not be full on post partum, but I can relate to just the whole self esteem and feeling a little low after birth... Once the high of having the baby wears off, and you realize that this is your life, no matter how excited you are it does give you a certain slap in the face that this is it. This is your life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on Apr. 13, 2009