• In the Spotlight:

Babysitter?

When you use a babysitter do you give them a list of chores you want them to do or do you just except them to babysit? A friend of mine has a 14 year old daughter and she just started babysitting a couple of nights a week for this couple who has a toddler. I think she is making something like $6/hr. But the woman gives her a list of things she wants her to do besides babysit, like take out trash, unload dishwasher, fold laundry, etc. I remember babysitting a lot as a teenager and no one ever asked to stuff like that. Is it just me or is that weird?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• If the mother asked the girl when she hired her if she would mind to a few things around the house and babysit then it's no big deal. But if not then that mother is way out of line. I think it's reasonable to expect her to pick up after herself but, for $6 per hour no way would I fold someone else clothes, hell I hate folding my own. She needs to tell her that she is happy to babysit for $6 but if she wants her house cleaned she can hire Molly Maids. And to those of you who are saying people don't expect thing from teenagers and a little work won't kill her, that would be no different than you going to your office job and your boss suddenly telling you that on top of everything else you are doing now you have to scrub the toilets and clean the windows. Chances are you wouldn't like it because it's NOT IN YOUR JOB DESCRIPTION.

Julia0331

Answer by Julia0331 at 2:15 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• She's a babysitter not a housekeeper!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• thats weird. . .i never had to do that.
    Anonymous

• That sounds more like a "nanny"... if I was the daughter Id be asking for more than that! Sounds like the couple is taking advantage of her. I use to babysit and the only thing I did and didnt even have to do was pick up after the baby. But it wasnt expected. When I was a nanny that was different. But I was making $12 an hour then!
    sailfishmommy

Answer by sailfishmommy at 1:24 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• That woman wants a housekeeper, not a babysitter! Shame on her for trying to take advantage of a teenager like that!

When I babysat, the most I was asked to do was feed the kid if the dinner hour was covered. Usually they had something simple I could prepare, and as a courtesy I would do the dishes. For $6 an hour, which isn't even minimum wage in my state, I'd tell her to go suck wind.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 1:25 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Oh really? Yup, when I was babysitting, I was given chores as well. I never minded.. back then, I actually enjoyed doing that stuff! When the kids were little, I had this babysitter that would put the kids to bed and clean the entire house.. we are talking folding clothes in the closet and the kids' drawers.... It was heaven! I loved that girl!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:25 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I would not let my child sit for someone like that I would tell her to find another sitter!!!!!!!
    DeborahElder

Answer by DeborahElder at 1:26 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• And I might add, that if the babysitter dirtys dishes, cooks or makes any type of mess, I would certainly expect her to clean it up. I hate coming home to my own kids' messes let alone a babysitter. I might ask her to do the dishes, and maybe fold clothes or whatever...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• That is a bit penisy of her. I pay my babysitter $9.00 an hour to watch all 3 of my kids while I run errands or go work out if I can't take them to the Y. She's 15 and my only expectation is their diapers are clean and they have had snacks if need be. I would never ask her to clean my house while I am gone. That's horrible!! The girl needs money and the mom is taking advantage of her.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:27 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• when i babysat i never got a list of chores. if it was someone i knew well and had babysat for alot when the kids went to bed i may do a load of dishes but folding someones laundry, that is nanny plus housekeeper, shes being taken advantage of b/c she doesn't know any better. if it was my 14 yr old i'd tell her to tell them she needs more money for that, or that she was there to watch their child not clean their house.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:27 AM on Apr. 12, 2009