glucose test

I took my 1 hour glucose test and they said it was a little high and now want me to do the 3 hour one. What could that mean and should I be worried?

sheenar

Asked by sheenar at 1:30 AM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• no i woudlnt worry a lot of times they have people go back for the 3 hr test and it turns out its nothing. dont worry about it until you have to good luck!
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 1:31 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• You shouldn't worry about that,
    most peoples one hour glucose test comes back all funky.
    Mine did, I also have to go for the three hour one.
    The reason I failed mine was because my blood got really high because I got upset..
    That's usually the reason it comes back funky because of the glucose is high or blood.. or both, that's what my doctor said..
    Kaiithegreat

Answer by Kaiithegreat at 1:33 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• i am in the same boat, they want me to go back and do the 3hr test but i tried to do it and i got sick, is it just me or does the stuff they make you drink make everyone really nauseous? i just cant do it so im just not going to worry about it i mean i only have 5 weeks left you would think they would have done this earlier
    jak89

Answer by jak89 at 1:39 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• did you eat before taking the 1 hour test??? eating before hand affects the test
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 1:41 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I agree jak89 they make people do that way late in pregnancy, they did mine at least, I hated it..
    But everytime I go back I get yelled at more because I'm animic(sp?)...
    Kaiithegreat

Answer by Kaiithegreat at 1:43 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• You know... the funny thing about the Glucose Test and Gestational Diabetes... is that it's really just a cure looking for a disease. GD is nothing to be terrified about. Doctors make a big deal out of it when it's nothing more than sugar results. It's not long-term, it goes away after pregnancy, which is why it's such a debate about even bothering to call it "Diabetes".

http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/gestdiab.html

Here is a link with tons of information about GD. Don't worry, don't stress. You don't even have to take the test if you don't want to. All it proves is that your pregnancy is causing your glucose levels to change. And the whole GD = Larger Babies = C-section thing? My friend delivered a 12 lb baby naturally at 5' 4" and 146 lbs.

littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 2:03 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• By the way, be sure to read through that link. They show both sides of the GD debate.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 2:04 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I am diabetic and know alot about the testing process, such as fasting and what to do and not do prior. Too much infor for here but you can email meand I will try to help :o). as for shoulf you worry...no, because you cannot change it with worry, just ride it out and wait and see. I can tell you tho, worst case scenerio, you have GD but it is not the end of the world I promise. :o) email if you'd like ...good luck!
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 2:05 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• It just means that your sugar was a little high after one hour. So, they'll test after three hours and see if it goes back down or stays high. If it stays high, they'll give you diet information to help keep your sugar levels down and they will monitor your levels if they stay significantly high.

No, I wouldn't worry. Just know they're being proactive with your care.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:57 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• GD does NOT always go away after birth. There are times (rare times) when it does develop into diabetes. Having it during pregnancy does, however, increase the CHANCE you MIGHT develop diabetes later in life when combined with a family history of diabetes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on Apr. 12, 2009