When changing a boys diaper do you have to put the penis down when putting the new diaper on?

I read a few answers to a question and a few people said yes they put the penis down and some said no. I was wondering what the point was. I dont do it and i notice sometimes he wets his clothes while layin but i dont see any other reason to do it. Thanks

JrsMa317

Asked by JrsMa317 at 2:02 AM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I always placed a cloth over it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Yes when diapering a boy you point the penis downward. It is so they don't pee up and out of the diaper.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:04 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• You don't want a gush of urine landing on your face, do you?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:05 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I always do cuz if I dont then he will wet his clothes when he lays down. It makes sense really, if its down then the pee goes in that direction into the diaper
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 2:05 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I was always told yes too but eventually I stopped doing it and now it just stays down on its own, so no more pee on all of his clothes
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 2:07 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I would...then the clothes around the belly don't get wet. Pointing up, he pees straight up.

Point that weapon down!!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:03 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I do or else my DS pees all over his clothes.
    RoseLAnderson

Answer by RoseLAnderson at 7:06 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Down is the way to go.

I've often wondered if perhaps whether we the parent put it down towards the left or right dictates where it will feel most comfortable for him to have it placed in the future when they are older. strange I know. but my mind is always coming up with something...
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 8:48 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Well, if you point it down, then you dont have the wet clothes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Pointing it down is only necessary if you don't want him to soak his clothes when he pees. My son's never did stick up much, but the one time I was in a hurry and forgot to check he peed right up and out of that diaper an hour later.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:59 AM on Apr. 12, 2009