Is it normal for BMs to be runny when switching baby from formula to milk?

My son just turned a year old, and we just started the process of switching from formula to milk. Every morning when he has a BM it is very runny and almost like diarrhea. Could this just be his stomach getting used to the milk? Or is this not necessarily a normal thing when switching to milk? He has been on a lactose free formula because the normal formula would make him very gassy. Thanks in advance for any help!

Danda08

Asked by Danda08 at 6:52 AM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Give him a few weeks on the milk (whole) the doctor will tell you. Keep tract of what his bm look like over the period of time and go from there. My son went from breast to whole milk...he got really gassy and bloated AND had skin reactions but it went away after about a month of straight drinking it...just their bodies ajusting. GL
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 8:39 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Its a big change to their digestive system. I eased my baby onto whole milk. First using 3/4 formula - 1/4 milk and gradually increasing milk over 2 weeks. He never had any issues.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• it's a big change, as long as he does not have constant runs just give it some time, switching back and forth can be worse so just keep doing what your doing. I just started my daughter on real milk I buy the horizon organic whole milk, just make sure you have whole milk. The only reactions she had was chunk spit up once in a while. It lasted about a week and now she is better. I went from mixing the milk with formula to just straight cows milk because the mixing actually upset her stomach.
    Willywonka06

Answer by Willywonka06 at 12:56 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• YES MY DAUGHTER HAD DIARRHEA FOR THE FIRST WEEK WHEN WE SWITCHED HER FROM FORMULA TO WHOLE MILK ...SO WE CHANGED HER TO 2% AND WE NEVER HAD PROBLEMS SINCE! GIVE HIM VITAMINS HE SHOULD BE FINE!
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 4:33 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Your LO could also be allergic to dairy or lactose intollerant. You may want to get an allergy test to be sure.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 2:36 PM on Apr. 13, 2009