Serious question about Christianity. Why is this, if that God is the one and only?

Why, after 19 years of devotion, going to church, praying, repenting for sins, reading the Bible, asking for filling of the Holy Spirit, etc., did I NEVER have a prayer answered, feel God, or anything else? Yet, when I began to practice Wicca, I felt the presence of the Divine all around me and have since been at peace (apart from regular every day stress) and feel loved and cared for and where I need to be?

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 7:17 AM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It sounds to me like you finally found your religion. I think we all have a religion our belief system out there somewhere (and yes, even atheism is a belief system). We just have to keep searching and questioning until we find the one that fits us just right. And when we do, we will truely be happy.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 10:08 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I would say that Christianity just wasn't a good fit for you. I'm glad you found something that you connect with.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 7:38 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Thank you Marwill.

To anyone else that might answer this question, if you're going to give me that: you weren't doing it right, you didn't ask for the right things, you didn't praise him enough crap, move along. I rarely asked for more than to feel him with me or to give me peace/courage, and that only happened occasionally. I know how to pray to that God, I praised him regularly. I did everything you're "supposed" to do, and I never felt a thing.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 7:41 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Here is the analogy I use: religion is like a pair of shoes. It can be very pretty, and you can want it to fit, and even force your feet into them in an attempt to break them in and make them fit. But sometimes, not matter how much you try, they won't work for your feet, even though they work great for other people. So it's good that there is more than one type of shoes to wear. And everyone is much happier once they put on the pair of shoes that fits them best so they can be comfortable.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 7:51 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• You said you asked for the infilling of the Holy Spirit did you ever receive the infilling of the Holy Spirit? If not that was your problem.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:58 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• So anon, you're saying that anyone without the infilling of the holy spirit can never have a prayer answered (even if they have accepted Christ and pray for it and praise God, etc.), can never feel God's presence, or anything else? Wow, no wonder you're hiding.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 8:11 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Sometimes when I pray, the only "feeling" I get is that of peace. I wont' sit here and tell you that you did anything wrong because you didnt, and you seem set to follow wicca anyway, which is your choice. But please, let me assure you that God does answer prayers --in His time, not ours. Sometimes the answer is yes, sometimes no, sometimes wait a while. He has never ignored your prayers. Heartfelt prayers are always heard.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 8:14 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Thing is, I've never known of anyone to have a prayer answered any more than with any other religion. I know people from many religions to have their "prayers" answered. I just don't understand how if there is only one god (the Christian one), then how come people from every religion have answered prayers? I've also known other people to never feel anything with one religion or have prayers answered, then find another religion later in life and begin to feel something peaceful and keep that feeling and have some prayers answered.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 8:21 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I agree with you, Mrs. Bat! Once I opened myself to other possibilities, all of a sudden I was greeted by my spirit guide, Mother GOD, Jesus, my totem animal, and other angels and guides. I KNOW now, more than ever before, that I'm truly NEVER alone and my life actually has a purpose. The Catholic way (that I grew up in) was so lonely and depressing.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 9:21 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I am sorry that you feel that way I pray that you will see the Way, the Truth and the Life. I can't know what you did or did not do, I do know that I feel Him in me. I went through my life mostly believing in God but there had been times that I believe I guess close to what you now believe(i never put a name to it) I did feel something then yes but I now know that it was demonic and familar spirits that I felt. Familar spirits still speak with my mother and tell her lies, she is a stage between Christ and I believe your faith.
    I also am much closer to Him after getting rid of things that go against Him ie, porn, movies about witchcraft etc.
    Mommyx2....

Answer by Mommyx2.... at 9:26 AM on Apr. 12, 2009