Is the rosary ment to be worn like a necklace and

if it's not, then why is it made like one and not just a chain of beads?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• According to the 13 years of Catholic schooling I've had they are NOT supposed to be worn. We got our first sets in 2nd grade and were constantly told that they are not necklaces and it is disrespectful to wear them. But some people either don't know or don't care or were taught differently (my dad and his mother were taught the same thing).

I'm sure there is a significance to them being in a circle and I know if you pray the entire thing you end with the same prayers you started but it's been a LONG time since I was in school so I don't really remember.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:45 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• soem do wear it as one . i have mine hanging tho .
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• No they are not worn as a necklace... they are prayer beads and are held in your hand while in prayer ....
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:04 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I have seen plenty of peole wear them as necklaces. They can still hold them in their hands while praying. It is all how you believe and how much power you believe they have.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 11:08 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I don't know from experience or anything but, I remember once hearing that during times of persecution they were "hidden" by fashioning them into jewelry (bracelets & necklaces). I have seen people wear them. Idk, though if that is considering disrespectful. I've had convesrsations with people who were doing the rosary while talking to me & that seems a lot more disrespectful, but thats just me.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 11:56 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• My uncle still has the scar on the side of his head, thanks to Sister Mary Whatshername from his grade school. They are not to be worn.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:36 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Oh my, NotPanicking that sounds horrible, yikes. Well, now I know if anyone ever asks, especially if it's a kid that's in Catholic School. I used to volunteer for a Catholic school but, our organization had a clear guidlines on seperation of religious education from our tutoring so, I never learned about that stuff while there. GTK.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 11:04 PM on Apr. 12, 2009