I'm trying container gardening this year....a few questions.

Well the question says it all. Can I grow watermelon and pumpkins in an 18 gallon container? I know I can train them to grow up a trellis. But is the container too big or too small?

babygirl5151999

Asked by babygirl5151999 at 10:49 AM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Home & Garden

• It should be OK. If you can find a midget variety it would be even better.

Answer by Bmat at 11:02 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Thanks!!!!!! I'm looking on a few sites right now LOL
    babygirl5151999

Answer by babygirl5151999 at 11:09 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I agree with the comment on midget varieties. I love container gardening (live in a big city with small yard). I have had great success with many items, although sometimes there is a bit of trial and error. I just learn from it and try to correct a bit the next year. The midget variety watermelons and the smaller pumpkins and gourds would grow great in that size container.
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 7:36 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Your container may not be big enough, the vines will dry out quickly in the summer, so be prepared to water everyday.
    Also, things like watermelons and pumpkin vines produce roots that take up additional water while trailing on the ground, so be prepared for the vines to have somewhere to take root.
    Watermelons need hot temperatures to have a good outcome, and that brings dryness.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Growing them up a trellis will be hard once the mellons and pumpkins get bigger. You will need to make them a hamock out of nylon to keep them from snapping off the vines. Also watch out for cross polination. I did cukes and mellon one year close to one another and the mellons were like cukes inside, a huge disappointment.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:15 AM on Apr. 15, 2009