• In the Spotlight:

Anyone going into teaching?

Apparently, we can't use red pen anymore. That makes me sad, I was getting giddy at the thought of marking a child's paper with that red pen. Lower self esteem my ass. =[. (That was sarcasm, I was just surprised)

Also, we can't use Times New Roman, we have to use Comic Sans.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Seriously? Wow.
    Well im going to school to be a teacher.
    Wonder what else will change by the time I get my degree (HOPEFULLY THE SALARY!)
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 11:06 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Well, the teaching college I go to is supposed to be harder than a lot of other states. (Michigan) So, it might be different in other states? I'm in my last two semesters. Lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Oh, wow. I didn't know that. I'm going into teaching. (1st-3rd grade) S o how are the students suppose to be able to tell the difference b/w our hand-writing and theirs?
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 11:07 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I guess a black marker. It's the color red. It's linked to low self-esteem.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Im going into teaching also, I havent started school yet but most likely will this year for the fall semester, I didnt know that..
    mommyBrooke849

Answer by mommyBrooke849 at 11:08 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Really? My son's papers have been marked with red pen. And ALL fonts have been used.

And I live in California, allegedly the land of fruits and nuts.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:16 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• It's not banned, but it's frowned upon and considered bad form.

The Times New Roman font is because of children with dyslexia. The little curly-q's on the letters confused students.

On a side note though, they're bringing back the F instead of E.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I read about that in a book called Muzzled by Mike Smerconish. Some schools wanted to use purple ink because it reminds kids of Barney so they can see they are still A-okay even if their schoolwork is all kinds of jacked up. I say let the red ink bleed all over the paper.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:21 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• OMG...I'm glad I teach on a college level. I occasionally substitute teach for my county, and I'm glad it is only occasional. IMO, they are getting way more concerned with everyone feeling good and being equal than actually teaching.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 11:54 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• i HATE all this self esteem crap my son is 2 and i am looking at schools now to make sure they give kids a good sence of right and wrong and they give them grades some schools around my area dont eaven give kids real grades till grade 3 thats nuts red pen makes an impression it tells them they got it WRONG and they will try harder to get rid of that red pen next time. i know osme kids have real problems and will never get rid of all the red pen but oh well dont hold back an entire generation just for a few kids
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Apr. 12, 2009