Fifths Disease? How long does the rash keep coming back?

The symptoms keep going away & then showing up in another kids a few weeks later. I have read that it can take months to actually stay gone. Anyone had experience with this?

valoree124

Asked by valoree124 at 11:20 AM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Kids' Health

• It all depends on fate. My son had fifth's when we were on a business trip with my husband, in a hotel room for all four of us then. My daughter never got it. The next one of your kids who get it or has it now with other kids succeptible in the house, try keeping that one with it apart more than interacting. It is contagious. Some moms like their kids to have tonsils out altogether or chicken pox alrogether to get it done and over with. Better times to come don't worry plus bizarre times coming too!!!! Keep big supplies of wipes and room sprays til warm weather to air out the house!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Not sure. I got it a few years ago (adults don't get the rash and have different symptoms). it lasted about a week and stayed away. Look it up on WebMd or a imilar site. Good luck!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:44 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• It shouldn't come back anymore. There is a chance of one more outbreak, then it's supposed to be done with. My toddler just had it a month ago. He's fine now. The rash is actually the end of it, and he is not contagious after the rash. It's the symptoms that look like cold and flu you gotta worry about. I'm just happy the other three didn't get it!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:51 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Oh yeah, they can actually take a blood test to see if you have it or have had it in the past! Some people never show symptoms at all! If the rash reoccurs don't worry, it's the end of it!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:53 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• are you sure it is fifths? I thought that with DS and got him in the doctor and it turned out to be scarlet fever and he needed antibiotics.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 12:00 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• My daughter had the rash for about a month then it faded and came back off and on for a week. Now it seems gone. She JUST got over this. Apparently it is epidemic in the NOrthwest.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 5:11 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• ZaTA- she had scarlet fever a few years ago & it didn't act like this rash. Scarlet fever was really scary for me! Didn't know ppl still got that!

SusieD250-That sounds about like what is happening here. She is dark complected so maybe I just didn't notice it as much the first time. And it gets worse when she is outside which is one of the man factors with Fifths. Hopefully this will be the last time we have to deal with it~

Thanks for all the responses ladies!!
    valoree124

Answer by valoree124 at 10:08 AM on Apr. 13, 2009