My child has a slight cough, stuffy nose and cant hold her food down, what should i do?

I'm a new mom. Is this a sign of the common cold?

Theonlyone08

Asked by Theonlyone08 at 11:22 AM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Common colds don't usually make children not be able to hold their food down. I would make a APPT w/ her pediatrician, and tell them you need a ASAP appt.
    Kbmancine

Answer by Kbmancine at 11:40 AM on Apr. 12, 2009

• How old is your baby? If they are less than 3 months then they need to go to the doctor.
    Are they throwing up becuase of the cough? Like coughing so hard it makes them vomit or vomiting all on their own? If the cough makes them throw up, I would bring them to the doctor.
    Otherwise I would try to treat the symptoms at home. Humidifier in the room to help soothe the cough and loosen secretions. Bulb syringe for the nose. Keep at an upright or angle while sleeping to help breathing. And I would try some pedialtye to drink and see if it goes better and then if your baby is formula fed try 4 oz water to 1 scoop formula and see if it goes better... it will be easier to digest and not create as much phlem.
    If your baby is breastfed try smaller more frequent sessions... like 5 mins every hour and see if it helps.
    If you baby starts to not have wet diapers then bring them in right away.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:32 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Increase fluid intake (juice, water, pedialyte) and avoid milk since it makes the secretions thicker. Do you notice thick phlegm (secretions) when she vomits? What happens is that everything from her nose drains into the back of the throat and sometimes goes into the stomach and a person will sometimes vomit this up. If she is under 1, I would get her seen asap. Is she running a fever? Write down her sypmtoms so when you do take her into be seen you wont have forgtotten something.
    hevnlyangel24

Answer by hevnlyangel24 at 2:14 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• If your breast feeding, NURSE. A lot. Breastmilk is considered a clear liquid so it's not "milk". That will help more then anything. I'd call the doctor and take her in. Hope she feels better!
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 3:07 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I actually took my son to the dr. yesterday for this. They said to give him water, pedialyte or gatorade in small amts and if he keeps that down for 8 hours then you can gradually start adding in "bland" foods (easy to digest). No milk during the 8 hours. They also told me to give him 2.5 ML of Mylanta 2x a day to help his tummy. He is 11 months old BTW If your child is still throwing up clear liquids you need to take them to the dr asap.
    kristyrea

Answer by kristyrea at 7:10 PM on Apr. 12, 2009