How many people on here do not teach there children religion?

I dont because I dont believe in it. For those of you who dont, what do you do on holidays? I still celebrate but with the easter bunny and santa clause, etc.

Please do not judge, those who are religious, we all have our own beliefs and are intitled to them. I dont judge you because of what you believe nor do I try and get you to believe what I believe this is not a religious debate.

I simply just want to know what other families like myself do on religious holidays!

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 12:10 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I don't teach my child about religion because he's 5. When he's older I will teach him about many religions and let him decide for himself. My personal belief is that all religions are just a form of social control. People don't seem to know the difference between religion and spirituality. We do different things different years. Today, we are going to host the neighborhood easter egg hunt and also volunteer at our local soup kitchen.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 12:13 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I teach my kids two religions and we celebrate holidays twice. The wiccan ones, and the christain ones. If they want to learn of other religions, I will help them.
    Anonymous

• I'm still looking for my religion..which I'm leaning to Paganism....Or something that believes more in the earth and the power of yourself..my son is only 18 months, but I don't plan on teaching him any religion...I grew up Catholic, so if he wants to be a Christian than that's fine with me...

This Easter he's not hunting eggs- mainly because I think Easter is a commercialized holiday and the hunting of the eggs has nothing to do with what Easter is really about...And as far as Christmas,, I don't take him to Santa Clause- because well, creepy guys dressed in red suits asking kids to sit on their laps is just weird..But we do celebrate Christmas with gifts. I look at that time as more of family time, not necissarily a religion time. Even though I know exactly where it comes from.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 12:27 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Our house is a religion free zone!  The holidays are about family, food and making merry.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:27 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• We have taught ours that not everything is black and white when it comes to religion. We have torn apart the bible and I like the history channel when it tears that book apart. What a joke. IMO So we teach her every aspect of every religion to show how people made up stories to make one big story to make it fit for their lifestyle. Especially the women. Boy where they put in their place. IMO Yes, she will make up her own ideas and we have taught her that religion is one big political game. Happy Easter and Passover everyone!!!
    Anonymous

• we are not"religious" but we do talk about different myths and stories that people "believe". Like I always say, there are as many faiths as there are individuals. We do celebrate different holidays just for the fun of it and because of our traditional backgrounds. As the kids get older it becomes a reason to get together and share meals. The cooking together and the yummy food is a really big part of it for us.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 12:30 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• We are not raising our kids to be any particular religion. We do talk to them about different beliefs and especially the different beliefs in our immediate family (Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism, and atheism/humanism- we're an eclectic lot between dh and I and the grandparents!) We do celebrate the Christian holidays that I grew up celebrating, but in a secular way. They do know the religious origins of Christmas but we haven't really talked about Easter yet. I think my son would be WAY too interested in the details of crucifixion! I'm happy with any faith that my kids choose. We do try to teach the commonalities between the faiths (ie. compassion, morality) because there is a lot of common ground there.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:44 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• We don't teach them religion either. My husband was Catholic, but has since drifted away from the church. He has faith but he does not follow organized religion. I, on the other hand do not believe in any religion but lean more towards being an Agnostic. My kids are too young to understand. My oldest is starting to ask about God, but I cannot offer an explanation without sounding snarky so I have to leave it alone.
    Anonymous

• My Daughter is 2 months old and we have no intentions of raising her with a religion.. Just to be a good person.
    tawnbond

Answer by tawnbond at 12:50 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• We do two sets of holidays. The Pagan sabbats, as well as the commercial days so she can have fun. I don't plan on teaching her one set religion. When she is older, she will know what I believe and will be free to learn and choose any path she wants. DH is agnostic, so he is just a bit nonchalant to it all. :)

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 1:00 PM on Apr. 12, 2009