• In the Spotlight:

is it true that if my 16 year old daughter knows how i feel about her choice in style, she will keep it5up just to spite me?

ok now ill put it this way... is it true that if i act like it doesnt bother me about the way she dresses, her choice of style etc. that maybe, she will start to become interested in other ways to dress? i have heard that so often, i am game for it! i have a beautiful 16 year old daughter, she is not all the way a gothic style dresser, she is leaning toward it though! thick black eyeliner, dark t shirts etc help me!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:13 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• yes, it is true.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 12:17 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• She will rebel.
    Anonymous

• My 16 yo loves Twilight type stuff. She's responsible throughout her life with school, good friends (I check with their parents we take turns driving them) and she likes to a degree to dress the part. But it doesn't overpower her or I'd disallow it. How's your daughter in the rest of her life? I don't feel guilty about saying no to my youngest, I did with my older two and they're good kids in spite of my no's. If it's wrong to you then decide to either set guidelines (when, how long, where) or rules (no).
    Anonymous

• Well, here is the scoop.. whoever told you that doesn't have kids! You are the parent. You make the purchases.. you support her butt.. now she must obey what you want. If you don't want her dressing that way, put your parental foot up her adolescent butt and set her straight. It's your right Mom. You are the parent!
    Anonymous

• Pretty much. In 2 years she'll be 18 and can do what she wants any way so why push the issue now??? If clothing is the only thing you have to worry about then pat yourself on the back!
    Anonymous

• It depends on how bull headed and stubborn they are.
    Anonymous

Um, some teens have jobs and can pay for the stuff themselves! Then what? Throw it all away to make her resent you more?? Ahh...that sounds like a brilliant plan! Clothing style is all about personality and showing off what you like. I like sporty clothes but I HATE sports and anything to do with sports. It's just what I feel comfortable in. Who the hell cares!

Anonymous

• Oh yes it's true. My 21yo son was always trying to shock us with his style and we let him do whatever he wanted to a point (we drew the line at those big earring holes that you could fit small objects through). He once came home with his left ear pierced about 10 times, we told him it looked cool and after a few days the earrings were all gone. He dyed his hair maroon when he was 16 (which was the same age he was when he had his ear pierced), we liked it and he let it grow out. We were such kill joys, LOL, we always acted like everything he did didn't phase us and he got over whatever phase he was in. Obviously you HAVE to set boundaries and rules on dress and on things like piercings but as long as the style she picks is reasonable I'd say let her do it. If she's doing it for shock value (like maroon hair or an ear full of earrings), let it go and the phase will pass.
    Anonymous

• "Well, here is the scoop.. whoever told you that doesn't have kids! You are the parent. You make the purchases.. you support her butt.. now she must obey what you want. If you don't want her dressing that way, put your parental foot up her adolescent butt and set her straight. It's your right Mom. You are the parent! "

Whoever posted this probably doesn't have teens! IMO clothes are an expression of self and teens go through phases. When I was a teen the more my parents said about a look the more I pushed it and wore what they hated. I was also one to pull my skirts up after I left the house and take off the acceptable sweater becuase the shirt underneath was not. After going through that with me my dad lightened up on the stepsisters when they were teens they would walk out in something and I would say"I NEVER could have gotten away with that" and my dads reply was "I just didn't see you in it, but you wore it anyway!"
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 12:49 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• SHE IS IN THE PROCESS OF FINDING HERSELF, THE MORE YOU NAG ABOUT IT THE MORE EXTREME IT WILL BECOME, IT IS A PHASE, SHE WILL OUTGROW IT.

Answer by older at 1:54 PM on Apr. 12, 2009