Blue Flame

i heard that you are not supposed to look at the blue flame in a fire?? is it true or a urban legend??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think it is when you are welding stuff that you should not look directly at the flame unless you have the protective gear over your eyes. Something about burning your eyes. who knows I remember it from a shop class i took years ago.
    I enjoyed building fires as well.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 1:53 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Ummm who cares...
    Anonymous

• urban legend. my brother and I were always creating very hot fires to the point of getting, blue, green, and even white or clear flames. pyros were we.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 12:29 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• What will happen? I guess I've never heard that legend. You should put some other metals in the fire and watch the colors. Try copper wire, then try aluminum wire. Interesting color changes.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 12:33 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• haha mythicsmmm
    you sound like me . idk why but i loved to burn stuff. lol still do . when it came to bon fires i was the one jumping at the chance to light the fire lol
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 12:34 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Mythic, my mom had a round glass-top coffee table in the den, and often when I was home alone, I would pour rubbing alcohol on it and set it on fire. My kids inherited the gene, too. :O)
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 12:50 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• ok, just for the record, we didn't randomly start fires. we did them in a fire pit with only certain, unpainted/varnished woods that were not glued, also only if it was wet enough to have a fire, or it was in the wood stove. I'm big on fire safety! we always had a hose turned on, buckets of water near by and several fire extinguishers in our house. don't get me wrong, I love fire, and setting things on fire, but it comes with responsibility.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 1:14 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I agree with lady-J-Rock. I think it is the welding flame you aren't supposed to look at. In a regular fire, if there is a blue color, you can look at it and it will not hurt you. I have never heard of an urband legend involving that, either.

I am deathly afraid of fire after having the fingers of my right hand burned in an accident in science class. The pain is excruciating, the smell sickening, and the skin never looks the same again.
    We bought a house with a fireplace 2 years ago and I told my husband we would never light a fire in it. But this winter I had to break down and let him because a storm knocked out our power and we had no heat and a newborn baby in the house. I was a nervous wreck about it the whole time.

Fire should never be taken lightly.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:24 AM on Apr. 13, 2009