In american Formula adverts on tv...Do they ever mention anything about Breastfeeding?

I have read a lot of things about how formula companies in the US push formula over BF etc etc.

Do they ever mention anything about Breastfeeding? Good or bad?

Cos, over here almost all formula adverts talk about how breast is the best and such.

mum-to-be-at-18

Asked by mum-to-be-at-18 at 12:30 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't know about on TV (we don't watch much but we have a dvr and fast forward commercials) but I have seen many in magazines and a lot will start out with "Breast is best but when you can't...."
    Duckieglc

Answer by Duckieglc at 12:33 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• on tv, in very small white letters it says "breast is best" lol. It's actually illegal to put formula adds on television like they do. the only way they get away with it is the tiny "breast is best" logo on the bottom that no one can see.

there are regulations on advertising breast milk substitutes in most all countries, thanks to the who.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:35 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I second Ducklegic. I brf first two exclusively until tabletime and the third since birth til tt was both brf and bottle fed. And their sicknesses as infants all and childhood depended on who with how much germ in them hit on my kids. Meaning breast didn't protect the first two who were exclusive breast from getting sick. The germs in society are actually stronger than mother's milk.
    Anonymous

• I haven't really seen too many commercials for formula one way or the other. To me, it just doesn't matter. I have two adult children, one was breast fed another formula fed. They BOTH have allergies and are both sick the same amount. I cannot see one thing different over the other. Breast feeding is totally natural, I know... but same as sex... if you want to do it, do it, if not... as long as the child is fed, who cares..
    Anonymous

• They are legally mandated to say 'Breast is best' and there are laws about how formula companies can advertise their product. However, that tends to be the small print. And although formula companies are not supposed to be able to give free samples, I received a bunch of Similac products, coupons, and samples with one of my pregnancies- and I wasn't even on a mailing list that I was aware of!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:46 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Is says right on the cans of formula that breast milk is best for the babies.

When was the last time I saw a formula commercial on tv?? Wow, I have to think about that one...I honestly don't think I have!!

I see a lot of commercials for Medela breast pumps though.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 12:50 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• If the "breast is best" logo is in such TINY print, then why is it that I could see it? It's actually printed right before the instructions. Formula companies are not the "anti-christ" trying to steal breast milk out of he mouths of babes lol...calm down...
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 12:52 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• We have lots of formula adverts over here. I like them, they're very funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIlJw5h_eNc

&

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBrdDP2Sp_w

I can't find the one that specifically talks about breastfeeding at the beginning. But these are on all the time.
    mum-to-be-at-18

Answer by mum-to-be-at-18 at 1:05 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Freela: I have never seen that "breast is best" is legally mandated. Do you have a link to your source? I see formula commercials, but I have yet to see that on the commercial. I also may not be paying attention too lol.

Mum: In the states, it is widely known that breast is best, but I have not seen it advertised on TV unless it was paid for by a specific public service group.
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 2:05 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Everyone knows breast is best here. sadly the Uk has the lowest breastfeeding rate in europe.
    mum-to-be-at-18

Answer by mum-to-be-at-18 at 2:48 PM on Apr. 12, 2009