Should we have an early birthday party?

I have a question about my daughter's 9th birthday party. Her birthday is August 6, in the summer, way after school has finished and way before school has started. She actually hasn't had a birthday party the past couple of years. One year we couldn't get anyone to come (because everyone was out of town) and last year we just decided to do a Disneyland trip instead. But this year she would like to do a party for her birthday. I'm just afraid we will encounter all of her friends out of town again, since it's at a bad time (when people are on vacations out of town). I was thinking of doing an early birthday party. Maybe in late June? Is that tacky? What do you think? Or should we just take our chances again and hope the kids can come this year when it's actually close to her birthday? Not sure what to do.

Evanmak0094

Asked by Evanmak0094 at 1:32 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• When does school start?
    Anonymous

• By the way, school starts here on August 24, about 3 weeks past her birthday.
    Evanmak0094

Answer by Evanmak0094 at 1:38 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Have the party after school starts.
    Anonymous

• or just talk to the parents now, figure out when everyone is doing their vacations and try to plan around that.just explain she wants a party with her friends so you are doing it early. im sure people would understand. i do my DD's 2 weeks sometimes a month early b/c hers is the week before xmas that way people aren't all involved w/holiday parties and stuff like that
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:54 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I would go with the end of June or having it later, right before school starts but a lot of people vacation then too so the end of school would probably be best
    momtosyd

Answer by momtosyd at 7:47 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I don't think thats tacky at all. In fact, many parents do that because of the same issue. My niece has a birthday on May 28 and thats right around memorial day weekend. Well my daughters birthday is the 20th of may and we try our best to share the same weekend because no one is in town on the holiday weekend. They had one birthday party that weekend several years ago and NO ONE showed up. My niece was heartbroken and my bil was angry, so they stopped trying to have bday parties that weekend. Shes turning 16 this year and they are having a big party on the 2nd of may. Almost a whole month before her actual birthday. I say go for it!
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:27 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• My sons birthday is July 4th and I have had a birthday party early for him. I usually do it in May or June before school gets out. I would go with a party before school gets out.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:57 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Sorry but I think it's tacky. If she's good enough friends with the kids, you should be able to get a hold of them over the summer. I think it looks like all you want is more people to show so she gets more presents. Sorry, again JMO.
    Anonymous