do people who are bi-polar/schizophrenia ever get to work,drive,etc?

cyndie123

Asked by cyndie123 at 2:01 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Health

• if they take their meds and progress well I think so.
    Anonymous

• I had a math teacher in high school that was a schizo & dyslexic. He was really weird. He was more worried about people tucking in their shirts than actually teaching. Plus he was a total a-hole. He would sometimes write on the board backwards or from right to left.
    paige8608

Answer by paige8608 at 2:04 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Schizo people seriously need medications, but if they learn to cope with it then they're fine, my husband was told he is schizo but he said he ignores the noises because he knows they're not real, and I swear I never knew this until like a year ago. Bipolar people are totally different, there are certain types, there are extremes and some who only flip the switch when something extremely bad happens to pisses them off. They take meds as well and can live normal lives they just really need their meds or else going to work they might flip on someone and get fired. But overall they are normal when on their meds.
    Anonymous

• I use to work with a bipolar woman. Yes she drove too. But you could tell when she didn't take her meds.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 2:08 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• My dad is bi-polar and has never taken meds. He is able to work and drive, but his relationships with other people is where he has a hard time..
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 2:17 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I used to get overly emotional and cry a lot at work. I was nearly discharged from work because of this, but I found a legal loophole that got the CID involved (saved my life). Anyway since then, I had to make my appearance brief to avoid crying in front of people. I finally stabilized with the new found notion that out-of-sight means out-of-mind. If I don't react, I won't bring emphasis to the issue.
    Anonymous

• My neighbor has schozophrenia. He's 22 or 23. Lives with his mother. She is his legal guardian and he collects SS. He's fine for the most part, smokes cigarettes, marijuana, and I believe he plays with other drugs at times. The only time he's not fine is when he doesn't regulate his meds properly. Then he seems to go off the deep end, throwing things, screaming, etc. I have no idea what goes on when he does this, other than his mom calls the police and ambulance and they take him away for a day. She feels he can not be left alone and the step-brother or someone comes to stay with him when mother is at work. He does not drive, and he doesn't work.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:30 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I was diagnosed with bi-polar and I work and drive. They even let me got to college. Yes of course they can do that stuff. Geez.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 2:52 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I'm borderline bipolar and have seizures.....all related to two small tumors on my pituitary gland...yes brain tumors....and they let me drive (and yes, they know about it....welcome to Texas where you have to fill out an additional driver license form if you've had a seizure). I raise my kids, shop, cook, got to work and church and live life like a relatively normal person. Of COURSE I'm allowed to participate in society. Good Grief!
    hilbilimac

Answer by hilbilimac at 3:16 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• What is pathetic to me is that people who are bipolar sit on their behinds and collect SS when they are completely capable of working and making a life for themselves, all you need to do is take the medication properly and communicate with your Doctor. I was clinically depressed as a teenager, but i overcame it with no meds and today i am perfectly fine.
    Anonymous