Have you ever heard of this?

Today someone at church was telling me how him and his wife tried getting pregnant for 4 1/2 years, went to the doctor, charted temperature, you name it they did it. Finally, they stopped and said "you know we kind of like how things are without children. Maybe we're just not meant to have any." And the next month BAM!!! They were pregnant.
Has this happened to you or anyone you know?

bethany_smith

Asked by bethany_smith at 2:10 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• LOL thats a cool way to get pregnant, when you dont want them! LOL I mean at least they wanted them at one point in time, so it's not that bad. No I've seen stuff like that on TV, I mean we didn't expect our two kids but hey they are here and we love them. That is so funny though, they tried everything didn't work, then decided not to have kids and now they do! That's a cool story!
    VasquezFamily

Answer by VasquezFamily at 2:13 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• thats happened to at least 2 people i know.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:13 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• LOL KInda ........... my parents never really talked about having kids not that they were against but they never thought they would have any for years after they got married WELL at 20 my got pregnant with me my dad was 19. They were already engaged before . They had me and decided that I was plenty but they never really did much to avoid getting pregnant again so they thought that maybe they couldn't have more kids. When I was 12 my mom got rid of EVERYTHING of mine that she had saved from birth up till I was 12 and guess what ..... Yep she got pregnant with my sister soon after !!!!! It was hard for them to start over basically since I was half raised but we coudlnt' see our lives without my 15 year old sister . She's in that stage where she HATES EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE but hopefully she'll outgrow that soon.
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 2:20 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• That happend to us. After 3.5 years of trying - including IUI - I made peace with the very strong possiblity of not being a mom. 2 months later, with no treatments except the release of all that stress, I was pregnant.

For years doctors have said that stress plays no part in getting pregnant and they have discounted any stories like mine. New research is showing that stress is a MAJOR factor in not getting pregnant.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:21 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I also had a boss that couldn't conceive they tried for over 14 years and then they gave up and adopted well 4 months later she got pregnant . The kicker is that the biological child looks NOTHING at all like the parents but the adopted child EXACTLY like the dad !!!!!!!!!
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 2:22 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Yes-- it happened to us. We had tried for 2 years, and gave it up. It took me about a month to become at peace with our decision to stop trying. We had tried Clomid, intrauterine insemination, and were considering IVF. But the thought of IVF just made me sad, since I figured for the cost of IVF, we could adopt a baby and definately have a baby coming home with us.

So we started the adoption process. Last Christmas, at Macy's they had a Santa's mailbox, so I wrote asking Santa for a baby for Christmas. I actually meant our adopted baby-- I wanted us to get a referral soon. Turns out I got pregnant around then! My baby is due in September!

We are continuing with our adoption, so we will actually have 2 kids in the next 2 years!!!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 2:31 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Happened to me too! I tried for a year and 3 months to get pg. I did everything. The ovulation predictor kits, charting temps, cervical mucus, sexual positions, EVERYTHING! Nothing seemed to work. The DH kept telling me I was getting too stressed about it and to just try to relax. It was hard, but, after that year and 3 months of trying and getting a continuous negative pg test back, I finally gave up and felt it would happen if/when it was meant to happen. And literally THAT MONTH, I was pregnant!!!
    joannakitler

Answer by joannakitler at 2:56 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Yup...happened to me. I guess I was so stressed and wound up about the whole issue that I had to reach a place where I was comfortable with myself and with a life that may or may not include children. Once that happened, I got pregnant!
    hilbilimac

Answer by hilbilimac at 3:04 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I know of a few, including my parents, who got pregnant with me this way... My Mom has always resented me for this...
    Zanny

Answer by Zanny at 3:14 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Yep
    thisloveofmine

Answer by thisloveofmine at 3:55 PM on Apr. 12, 2009