Normal 4 year old math skills.

I am of course bias because he is my child so I have to ask. Is it normal for a 4.5 year old to be able to count backwards from 10 count to 100 by fives(with out help) count to 100 (with little help) and add small numbers such as 1+3 or 3-2? I of course think he is a genius ;0) but really how does this stack up?

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 2:39 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Sounds like hes a natural with numbers. Thats great! A lot of boys are really good in math but much more average in reading/spelling skills. My nephew is 8 and he can do basic algebra and was multiplying 3 digit numbers at about age 6. He really is borderline genius, but his social skills are lacking a lot and hes quite immature. So theres always pros and cons to things like that. Sounds like a smart kid and of course your bias...hes your baby. All moms feel that way.,,,LOL
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:06 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I think he's pretty darn good mommie!!!!! You should be very very proud of him!!!!
    Anonymous

• i think thats advanced, but at the same time i think its also b/c you took the time to teach him whereas other people haven't taken the time to teach all that to their kids.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:44 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Talk to his preschool teacher to be sure.

My 5 year old (this past February) has been doing that stuff for a while now and my 3 year old is now doing it, so I'm not real sure about "normal".
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:52 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Correction...my 3 year old recognizes all the numbers up to 100 but isn't really counting that far yet. He only makes it to 20 on his own.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:53 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• that is advanced. my 5 yr. old can count to 15 without skipping. we havent worked on counting by 5's so he cant do that either. we just recently got interested in adding. so we have started doing some of that but not a lot.

congrats :-)
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 4:16 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• of course, if it has been aught to him
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 5:15 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Yes, i think he is advance on the math skills.
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 5:41 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I'd say advanced....probably b/c I think my son (who is also 4) is advanced! LOL He also can count to 100 and do simple math problems (addition, subraction and multiplication), count by 10s, count backwards, and recognize numbers most other kids his age can't. His twin sister knows her numbers as well, but isn't as "into" math as he is. She'd rather draw and write stories. =)

And my kids have never been to preschool.
    TwinMomma122304

Answer by TwinMomma122304 at 7:10 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• My 3 year old does all that other than counting by 5s which we haven't practiced.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 8:43 PM on Apr. 12, 2009