How can I correct my daughters attitude?

My oldest child has been talking back a lot lately and I do not know how to get her to stop. She has a really bad attitude problem, she refuses to do what she is told. We try time outs, we try spanking, we try taking away toys and other things she wants. I am seriously running out of ideas. She will be 3 in June, and at first I thought it was a phase, but I think its getting worse.

Princefan6684

Asked by Princefan6684 at 3:01 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The best thing to do is be consistant, do not let her get away with something because you are just too tired to deal with it, I've made that mistake and it just takes longer to fix the problem. If you stay on top of her behavior it will get better, it's just going to take time.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 3:09 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• if she is talking back i would tell her she is allowed to say how she feels but she can't be mean when she says it. that worked for my daughter (who is 3). if shes talking with an attitude in general i just ignore her and tell her i can't understand her until she talks like a big girl/nice person, and that will usually do the trick
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:12 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• sammiesmom2000 is right. My youngest I was really easy on still don't know why but later on she stayed nasty and spoiled. It took hard work and still consistency to get respect back and now to keep it. it's all in the consistency. If one doesn't work after a good while - a couple of weeks not hours or two days, then try something else. But give it time to not confuse the kid but most of all don't be afraid to punish responsibly.
    Anonymous

• Could it be she's acting out for attention? Maybe there is an underlying problem that she feels the need to act out or get attention. Maybe sit her down and calmly ask her why she is talking back, and how it makes you feel. Maybe she is jealous of something or someone that has your attention at that moment. Sometimes kids also just like to see our reactions. The other moms are right about consistancy, she might just trying to see how far she can go until you snap.
    dawn_misayo

Answer by dawn_misayo at 4:24 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I have the same problem. I have 2 boys, the older is smarter on this. He seems to know when to stop when i glare at him, though my younger son doesn't stop till i actually slap him on his mouth.

You don't have to do more than one, they stop and realize it. Now, i glare, they stop. If i say " dont' talk back now, you know you are wrong or i won't say anything"
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 5:10 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Try changing her diet. Processed "kids" foods are filled with sugar and processed wheat which causes ups and downs in sugar levels and behavior problems. Switch to whole grains, water instead of juice and fresh vegetables. See if her behavior improves. Make sure she is getting enough sleep too. If she is behaving badly take her on a ride in the car or relax with her and see if she really needs a nap.
    dhsredhead

Answer by dhsredhead at 10:59 PM on Apr. 12, 2009