help my son will not sleep in his own bed!

My son is 22 months old and has always sleeped great in his bed. All of a sudden he will not sleep in his own bed. He wants to sleep with me and my husband. This can not happen! My Mom watches my boys a couple nights a week at her house and he is doing the same thing there. She has to work during the day and needs her sleep so if this keeps up she will not be able to watch my boys and I will not be able to work. I have to work because I need the money. The other night when I was home I tried having him cry it out. I checked on him every 15 to 20 minutes but the boy cried for 5 hours straight! What do I do?

joleensboys

Asked by joleensboys at 3:28 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This is a toughie. But in my opinion, i don't think you should cave or he'll cry every night knowing the eventually he will get his way. try laying in his bed with him for 15-20 mins and see how he likes that. Or if he is still in a crib try spending the last 30 mins before bedtime on the couch laying with him.
    Kbmancine

Answer by Kbmancine at 3:59 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• knowing that*** eventually
    Kbmancine

Answer by Kbmancine at 4:00 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I have tried laying him down both sleeping and when he is very sleepy but he keeps jumping straight up and screaming. He is still in a crib other wise I'm sure he wouldn't even be staying in his room. I also tried putting a night light in his room to see if that would help but it didn't. I just don't know what else to try.

joleensboys

Answer by joleensboys at 4:29 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Any change in the life? he goes to a new daycare, new school, or different schedule? Kids are sensetive to any change of their daily routie. I will ask him what is the matter that he cant' stay in his bed at night? Try night light or so.

Oh, is he just quit his afternoon nap, it could be a reason too. Afternoon nap helps young kids stay asleep better at night.
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 5:02 PM on Apr. 12, 2009