my daughter is 5

and i was wondering around what age she would be more independant taking a shower, brushing her hair/teeth by herself? thanx

ashlee31627

Asked by ashlee31627 at 3:52 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Whenever you start working with her and kind of urging her to do it herself. My 5 year old just recently started doing it by himself (with reminders about hitting all the cracks and crevices when washing! lol)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:54 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• It all just depends on the child. I had one that I trusted at five to take a shower... however, I did makes sure she as getting herself clean and her hair washed and rinsed... The other child, no way.. it was more like 7 for her. If you want to let her try it, I would just supervise.
    Anonymous

• It depends on the child and their parents. My daughter started showing her independence around 4 when I was pregnant with lil j and sick all the time. Until one day I woke up one morning and my boo was washed and dressed for school. She takes a shower every evening before she goes to bed and she just turned 8. But it really depends on the interactions between the parent and that child.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 3:55 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• teeth and shower you can work on now, hair make take a while dpending how long and thick her hair is
    my son is 5 1/2, he showers himself and brushes his own teeth, i just put soap on the sponge and close the door, and i put oothpaste on the toothbrush- only cuz if i dont he makes a mess
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 5:14 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Talk to your dentist about the teeth thing. I thought my kids were capable, but the dentist said NO. He said they are not dexeterous (sp?) for it. Keep brushing, but teach them the showering. That is a process that takes them years. :(
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 4:53 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I agree with the others that it depends on teh child. My daughter is 7 but has been brushing her teeth and bathing herself for about 3 years now. She doesnt wash her own hair though. In the morning my daughter brushes her teeth, washe her face, apply her hygiene products, gets dressed, and makes her own breakfast by herself. My daughter is very mature. My son is 4 but I dont see him doing the things my daughter does for another 2 years..lol
    ttm_mommy

Answer by ttm_mommy at 1:59 PM on Apr. 13, 2009