Should I start pumping again?

I stopped nursing my son at six months, his choice, not mine. He's 18 months now and I'm still lactating. Should I start pumping and giving it to him. I mean it's there, why not take advantage of it right? Just not sure it's the right thing..I can always donate it though right? Does it sound like a good idea? Should I use a manuel or electric pump? I've got both.

sarapurser

Asked by sarapurser at 3:54 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would! My son is 15 months and definitely would if I could.
    WyattsMomma7

Answer by WyattsMomma7 at 6:10 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• If you have the patience, do it, it's still good for him.
    Electric pumps are said to be more efficient.

Go ahead and see if you have enough to make use of still, even a cup of your milk a day or every two days will give his immune system a nice boost.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 6:14 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Sounds like a good idea. I've used both and I like the electric better, it works quickly. I still nurse my 2 year old so I think it is a good idea.
    dhsredhead

Answer by dhsredhead at 10:49 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Are you leaking a lot? My doctor said small drops every now and then are normal. I went in for my annual four months after I finished nursing and asked him about the few drops that I got from time to time. He said that was normal but still ran bloodwork to make sure that my prolactin levels had gone back down. If they hadn't, I think he was going to give me something. Just make sure you are ok first. Pumping takes A LOT of time and patience. The electric one was my best friend for over a year!

Your little one may not like the taste anymore...but that is also normal now that he has had "real" food.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 2:31 PM on Apr. 13, 2009