It's so frustrating!

My 21 month old daughter sometimes can make a real mess during meal times. It starts with the way she eats her sandwhich; Everything has to be taken to bits and will be everywhere, besides on her plate. Second thing is, that she does a few bites and says "done"and pushes the plate and her cup away. Everything else on the table gets moved aswell by that. You allways have to watch out, or things will fall of the table. Then she plays a bit, takes back the plate and here we go again: "done!"...
But the one thing that really pushes my buttons is when she looks at me and then throws food onto the floor.
Of course I tell her of and say that it's naughty, but she does not care (would you at 21 month old?) So my question is: What immediate action can I take to teach her that it's wrong and unwanted behavior? You know, cause - effect. Straight away. Done something wrong - Get punished.

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 4:01 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• when she says shes done the first time take the food away and don't give it back..she'll eventually learn not to play with her food or it will be taken away
    Anonymous

• My daughter does the exact same thing (she's 16 months). I tell her no in a stern voice and I take the item away from her. It drives me nuts too. I try not to give her too messy things and as soon as she loses interest (plays with it, picks at it or starts to slow down) I take it away from her and clean her up. She looks right at me and throws things on the floor. OMG does that just really make me annoyed. It's almost like she's looking right at me and saying F you mom! I try not to take it personally and just take it away from her and consider that her way of saying I don't want anymore of this. It's a phase and they'll grow out of it.
    dawn_misayo

Answer by dawn_misayo at 4:18 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Take the food away. She says she's done, she's done. She throws food on the floor, she's done. It won't take long.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:25 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I agree with the other posters. My son is 24 months. We clean him, take the food and put him down! When he says done, he's done! He doesn't like it either, because he wasn't really done, he just wanted to push our buttons! He learned real fast, because he loves food!
    4kidsandadog

Answer by 4kidsandadog at 10:44 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Time out. That is what we did and my daughter stopped throwing food pretty quickly.
    dhsredhead

Answer by dhsredhead at 10:47 PM on Apr. 12, 2009