I need opinions on the Santa/Easter bunny secret

My step-son is 6 (i have him every day) last wednesday she let me know that she told him about the easter bunny/santa secret. to which my first response was why? she told me that most of his friends were older than him and she didnt want him to be the only one that didnt know. Now I am friends with most of his friends moms and most of them do not know yet. He never brought the subject up to her she said she brought it to him. He has only lost 1 tooth and knows about the tooth fairy.....I think it is unfair to him to ruin it like that not to mention she never even mentioned it to my husband it should have been a joint decision between the both of them. It really bugs me!

AlishaK126

Asked by AlishaK126 at 4:18 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes it should have been a decision among all of you.
    For us, we never pushed any of those myths. We didn't flatly say no Santa, but when the kids asked, we explained it was just the spirit of Christmas. We never talked about Easter Bunny, for religious reasons. I can't remember about Tooth Fairy, but I expect we just said put the tooth under your pillow and there will be money there in the morning.

Answer by Bmat at 4:27 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• My son is 12.... Ive never actually told him. I just think eventually they find out as they get older. Its not something, I thought I had to have a huge discussion about. Besides were gonna always celebrate and he will conti to always get gifts from us. But, Iam proud that he knows Christmas and Easter are really all about "Jesus" Which is more important! :)
    Anonymous

• I don't think she should have told him that..But she is his Mom. It was her choise..

Answer by louise2 at 7:13 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• My SS is 5. His father told him before this past Christmas that Santa isn't real. His son, his decision. ...It makes it easier at least to not have to pretend about it.
    Anonymous

• My kids are almost 16, 12, 11 and 4 The older two knew but last night I told my 11 year old. He was very upset, he cried. I told them not to ruin it for the 4 year old because he deserves santa clause stuff like they did. My kids always have a big christmas with presents from me and unwrapped presents from "santa". Everything will still be the same except the older ones will have all their presents wrapped. I did feel sorry for my son though, but they are eventually gonna find out. I do think 6 years old is to young but I guess its what the mother wants. maybe you can tell him santa dont come to mommys house anymore but he still stops at your house.
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 8:50 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I don't believe in telling kids that santa and the easter bunny are real in the first place. Telling them it's all a lie is better than letting them make a fool of themselves at school by having blind faith in a lie.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 8:53 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Mom shouldn't have told him yet, he is still a kid. But, she is the mom and it was her decision. It is not one that had to be made jointly with dad and steps. Major decisions need to be made jointly and I don't count Santa and the Easter Bunny as major decisions. She was just being a meanie.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:08 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• It should have been a joint decision between the mom and dad. But what is done cannot be undone.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 10:32 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Show him some of the movies like Tim Allnes the Santa Clause, and tell him that Santa doesnt come to people who dont believe and his mom doesnt believe in him so she stopped getting presents, and pretend that you still believe, let him make his own choice.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I don't understand why anyone would tell their kids lies in the first place... What a wonderful way to break trust at an early age... I'm glad to hear at least one of you came to your senses and told the poor child that all the adults in his life don't respect him enough to be honest...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:09 PM on Apr. 13, 2009