the dead (Christian ?)

Seeing as I had to work today, I listened to church on the radio. The pastor was talking about something that got me to thinking. Well several things actually ;-) Do you believe the dead are currently in Heaven/Hell, or sleeping until Christ's return? Opinions are nice but I would also like Scripture please. If you don't believe then feel free to leave a comment, as to why you don't believe whatever, but try not to bash.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:48 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• i believe that we are in spirit prison or waiting area i guess to be judge for our sins and how we lived our lives before we get placed in heaven or in hell.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 4:56 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I believe the dead go straight to their "judgment" and then to heaven.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:14 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• The dead are shown to be “conscious of nothing at all” and the death state to be one of complete inactivity. (Ec 9:5, 10; Ps 146:4) Those dying are described as going into “the dust of death” (Ps 22:15), becoming “impotent in death.” (Pr 2:18; Isa 26:14) In death there is no mention of God or any praising of him. (Ps 6:5; Isa 38:18, 19) In both the Hebrew and the Greek Scriptures, death is likened to sleep, a fitting comparison not only because of the unconscious condition of the dead but also because of the hope of an awakening through the resurrection also the resurrected Jesus is spoken of as “the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep in death.”—1Co 15:20, 21
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 5:21 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Christians go straight to the Lord when they die, "absent from the body, present with the Lord." But people who have not accepted Christ go to another area that is separeted from the Lord by a chasm, they are waiting until the judgment. The dead cannot return to give us messages. Jesus tells us this in Luke 16:20-31:
    "19 “There was a certain rich man who was clothed in purple and fine linen and fared sumptuously every day. 20 But there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, full of sores, who was laid at his gate, 21 desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell[d] from the rich man’s table. Moreover the dogs came and licked his sores. 22 So it was that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels to Abraham’s bosom. The rich man also died and was buried. 23 And being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:25 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• cont. "24 “Then he cried and said, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.’ 25 But Abraham said, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things; but now he is comforted and you are tormented. 26 And besides all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed, so that those who want to pass from here to you cannot, nor can those from there pass to us.’
    Cinnamon-mom

• cont. "27 “Then he said, ‘I beg you therefore, father, that you would send him to my father’s house, 28 for I have five brothers, that he may testify to them, lest they also come to this place of torment.’ 29 Abraham said to him, ‘They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.’ 30 And he said, ‘No, father Abraham; but if one goes to them from the dead, they will repent.’ 31 But he said to him, ‘If they do not hear Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded though one rise from the dead.’”
    Cinnamon-mom

• Before Jesus, those that died in faith went to a place called Abraham's bosom. Now believers go directly to the pressence of the Lord. "We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord" (2 Corinthians 5:8).

After the second coming there will be the great judment,Matthew 25: "31 “When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the holy[c] angels with Him, then He will sit on the throne of His glory. 32 All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate them one from another, as a shepherd divides his sheep from the goats. 33 And He will set the sheep on His right hand, but the goats on the left. 34 Then the King will say to those on His right hand, ‘Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world"
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 6:33 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Before Jesus, those that died in faith went to a place called Abraham's bosom. Now believers go directly to the presence of the Lord. "We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord" (2 Corinthians 5:8 that tells is all right there.. When we die we will be present with the Lord

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 6:45 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• We (JW's)believe that the heavenly resurrection of Christ’s joint heirs begins after Jesus Christ returns in heavenly glory, to give first attention to his spiritual brothers. Christ himself is called “the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep in death.” Paul then says that each one will be resurrected in his own rank, “Christ the firstfruits, afterward those who belong to the Christ during his presence.” (1Co 15:20, 23) "or as most call it his coming"
    so it still shows that they would remain asleep in death until his return......
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 6:45 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• One Pagan belief holds that when you die you go to "Summerland" to be with the divine oneness to rest till your essense (or "soul") is ready to be reincarnated to be born and live again, and learn another lesson.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 6:51 PM on Apr. 12, 2009