When somebody dies, how do you feel about people consoling your children by telling them the deceased are "angels" now?

Not "in heaven," "passed on," or whatever else, but specifically saying they are angels. Asked with religious people in mind lol, but all answers are welcome.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:54 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't believe when people die they go to heaven. I think people thinking that is a coping mechanism for their pain. If i ever lost a child or close family member I would probably want to believe the same thing to deal with the pain. Since I don't believe in it, I wouldn't agree with someone else telling my child what happens when people die.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 4:59 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Angels I have no objection to and we're barely religious. Kids being told that so and so went to sleep and went to heaven is a no no in my family.
    Anonymous

• I don't have a problem and I don't think anybody that tells their children that Santa leaves toys on Christmas should have a problem with it whether or not they believe that the deceased become angels. I personally don't know if I believe that they do or not, but I want to teach my son to have faith regardless. I think it is important for people to always feel that there is someone watching over them. It makes life a lot less...lonely, among other things. I just happen to be too analytical of a person to let myself fully believe one way or another. But I will teach my son to have faith, and let him decide for himself one day what he really chooses to believe.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 5:00 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I FELL UPSET BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT ANGELS NOR WILL EVER BE ANGEL'S ....ECCL.9:5 " THE LIVING ARE CONSCIOUS THAT THEY WILL DIE;BUT AS FOR THE DEAD,THEY ARE CONSCIOUS OF NOTHING AT ALL."
    Anonymous

• I would be upset but I also understand that people really just don't know what to say.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 5:04 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Honestly, I would probably laugh, because he would probably set them straight. We've been unfortunate enough to have to explain this over the last year, and he's pretty much put all the pieces together now.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:07 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• My grandmother just died (on the 9th of this month) and I told my kids that she is now living with God and that she still loves them. I don't mind people saying differently though (a hospice nurse told my kids that their grams was an angel now and was sitting on the clouds looking down taking care of them.) But my kids are to young to fully grasp that there is a difference in what they were told.
    kaysha

Answer by kaysha at 5:07 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• idk
    i havent had to deal with that yet with my lil man, but idk how i will deal with it when i do
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 5:09 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• It wouldnt bug me.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 5:10 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I believe angels to be a completely different creation, but I probably wouldn't say anything, other than to explain my son that they just mean well, and that all that matters, angel or not, is that the person is in a "better place".
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:13 PM on Apr. 12, 2009