A question I thought of from another post, any one besides me told hubby needs to give permission to get you tubes tied?

I had our third baby in Pennsylvania and wanted my tubes tied. My ob told me husband's permission was needed, granted 16 years ago, but I told him no way was I getting his permission and my ob tied them without hubby permission during my csec. Any one else told permission needed? Did you decided to get it or get tubal any way without telling husband?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:58 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• I know now that would be a major violation of HIPPA. They can't even discuss your surgery with him without express permission now.

For me I wouldn't have had such a procedure without discussing it with my husband. I also wouldn't have had it right after giving birth. It's too soon and your emotions are not at their best.

We opted for him to have a vasectomy. Much easier procedure.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 5:02 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• wow! I've never heard of having to get his permission. Guess it's a good thing he agrees and when I have this baby (ugg is it July yet??) My tubes are being tied.
    kaysha

Answer by kaysha at 5:03 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Nope..I didn't get them tied because there was too much scar tissue after having 4 c-sections that my tubes could not be visualized. I know when my husband had his vasectomy he was asked if we both agreed and our marriage was stable.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 5:06 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• OP here clarification mine, as I said, was done during my csection of my third baby which was also a third csection. So childbirth recovery was somewhat old hand so to speak. The wear and tear of pregnancy and childbirth isn't on the man it's on the woman. That baby being our third is why I did it and not before. HIPPA actually has rules that are made up by the doctor's themselves to pick and choose from. In Virginia doctor's can choose to disallow any one other than the parents or spouse or patient of age access, or they can choose to have the patient of age sign to whom they allow permission to access otherwise no one but themselves. Our insurance changes have made us change pediatricians and different peds have different rules. Federal are guidelines only.
    Anonymous

• I wasn't told I needed my husband's permission. That's insane if you ask me. But I did have to wait 30 days from the day I signed the consent forms to have it done. I'm not sure if this was a law in the state I lived in at the time, or if it was a policy set in place by my insurance company.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 7:05 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I'm confused...you had them tied 16 years ago? Laws were different then and HIPAA didn't exist yet.

These days, you CANNOT pick and choose from HIPAA laws. Unless you want to be brought up on federal charges.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:43 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• yep back in the day permission was required like we were still chattel. After my third I told them to tie them or pay for the next kids I had until they were adults since hubby wouldn't leave me alone (sexually). They just laughed at me and said get permission from "daddy". I was so pissed! Not only is the thought disrepectful to us as women but he's a lot younger than me and an abusive jacka** that I was in the process of divorcing!

Answer by admckenzie at 7:43 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• hi gdiamante, op here. sorry wasn't clear. I did have my tubes tied actually 16 1/2 years ago in PA and my ob told me I had to have my husband's permission. SInce this was my third birth I told him he was not given my permission to talk to my husband about this and I didn't want to bring another baby after that impending birth in to the world, finances would be then stretched with any pregnancy after my third.. I was an older mom clearly smart and he tied my tubes without my husband's permission. AND AS for hipaa, sorry that I meant in the mid2000's. Different pediatric groups I had to go to for insurance company changes in VA had their own rules - some were very very strict and others were very very lenient. It happens where I live now too. A patient's best bet for privacy is to write out their permission on any intake form of who and who can not access their records. hipaa is absolutely not flat routine.
    Anonymous

• Yup, same here. The first time I asked to be spayed I was told to wait until I had more than one child or was over 30, I was 21 at the time, but knew the risks. Finally got spayed at age 30, and they *still* wanted my husband's ok, I told them to kiss my butt.

Every man I've asked about their vasectomy over the years has never been required permission from his s/o or a psych eval which was also a requirement.

They asked the same of my daughter 3 yrs ago, so it's still done.
    MizKizzy

Answer by MizKizzy at 8:33 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• before hipaa a patient still had the right to disallow release of records it just wasn't as popular as it is now. and now medical practices pick and choose to have their own forms that say tell us who you want to access you records and forms to sign that say no one can access my records. some
    practices don't have either form. a spouse for example has now, usually, to be written in to be able to take a detailed message from a doctor not just for joe or joanne to call the doctor. did you know that when your child reaches age 18 even when the kid is in high school still, that age alone disallow most parents in most practices from finding out if the strep test is positive or negative, if in for something as simple as that? no kidding. and you can't pick up a shot record for a move or college file even if the 18 year old is still in hs.
    Anonymous