Do you think it's right to suspend someone from work for expressing their religous views?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1169379/Christian-charity-worker-suspended-saying-did-believe-sex-marriage.html

This is how PC the UK has gotten:

A man who has worked at a hostel for four years was supended for telling a colleague that he doesn't beleive in same-sex marriage or homosexual clergy. He did however say he wasn't homophobic and claims he has homosexual friends.

mum-to-be-at-18

Asked by mum-to-be-at-18 at 5:09 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• ''would tolerate his homophobic remarks''...?? what's homophobic about saying you didn't agree w/ same-sex marriage? i know homosexuals who don't believe in same-sex marriage!! are they homophobic, too?
    i may say i didn't like bungee-jumping..does that mean i don't like those who bungee-jump? am i bungee-jumperaphobic?? (yes, i realize i'm lacking in the analogy dept...best i could come up with on short notice.)
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:05 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• It really depends on what they do. I don't think this fellow crossed a line, based on what's *written*, but I wasn't in the room. I don't know if he pushed his beliefs to the point where people were uncomfortable to be around him. I have known people who are that way.

If he had to harp on his position, then that's a very different matter.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:16 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• exactly why I never discuss politics nor religion at work!
    Anonymous

• Nope, no matter how bad it is. Because what's grounds for suspension for one religion is grounds for all, and anyone who would be offended by him is just as likely to have a boss who thinks like him someday and wants to get rid of them.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:19 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Good point NP.
    mum-to-be-at-18

Answer by mum-to-be-at-18 at 5:25 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• IN THIS CASE IT WAS. HE BREACHED THE TERMS OF CONDITION OF HIS EMPLOYMENT, HE WAS TOLD ABOUT THIS 4 YEARS AGO WHEN HE WAS HIRED. HE IS ENTITLED TO HIS BELIEFS HE JUST NEEDED TO KEEP THEM AT HOME.

Answer by older at 6:07 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• If he was told that this was a rule then yes I do think it is grounds for suspension.
    Anonymous

• the bible talks about this in the last days.. Don'T be supposed what you see this days.. The devil is out there to get whoever you can

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 6:53 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I think that business is not the place for controversial topics and discussions on race, gender, religion or politics. You're always bound to alienate SOMEONE and possibly make a hostile work environment for someone else.

Are people TOO sensitive? Yes, but the law protects those people. You have to work with them, not continue to talk how you want to talk and then expect them to take it and not get into trouble for it. That's just not the way that it works.

As a business owner, I would have 0 tolerance for drama of any kind. If you like or dislike gay people, I don't care, I don't want to hear about it. I don't want to hear your thoughts on immigration and I don't care what religion you are. Just do your job, collect your paycheck and go home. The less complaints I would have about people running their mouths the better. The man should have been smarter and left his opinions (offensive or not) at home.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 6:54 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Everyone is entitled to one's own beliefs, however, they do not belong in the workplace. If they are two consenting adults and no one is offended, that is one thing. But obviously someone overheard the conversation and was offended by the contents.
    If you don't want it said in front of your family, your spouse, the TV, or newspaper, then your best bet is to not say it in the workplace.
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 6:55 PM on Apr. 12, 2009