Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Still scared of finger foods

My 9 month old still does not eat finger foods because I have a gigantic fear that he will choke and it doesn't help that he gags on every finger food I try to give him. I started with the yogurt melts but they were to big and don't dissolve fast enough. He choked on the puffs. I tried the rice rusks and he did okay except every time a piece would go near his throat he would start coughing and gagging. What else can I do? I know he doesn't NEED finger foods at this point, but I'm scared this will become a huge issue when he really does need to learn to eat.



Also, does anyone know where I can find information on taking a baby CPR class? I think that might help at least somewhat alleviate my fear.

Answer Question
 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:11 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Answers (5)
  • It sounds like a gag reflex problem and that is something he has to overcome. Try breaking things up in pieces for him to swallow. Does he choke on soft baby food as well? Is he eating a stage 3 yet or on table food at all? All babies gag, its a reflex they have with anything new, just like the tongue thrusting motion they do when you first start spoon feeding them. Its part of his growth and development but if he continues I would talk to your doctor to see if he has an over active gag reflex.
    brailynsmama08

    Answer by brailynsmama08 at 5:15 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

  • Check with your doctor about the class. He can tell you where to go.

    As for finger foods...there is a difference between choking and gagging. Gagging is part of learning how to eat (to a certain extent) It's learning how to get something out of their throat, clearing it on their own. If he gags on every single bite there may be another issue, though.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:18 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

  • Contact your local red cross or hospital. I know labor and delivery usually offer a free infant cpr class and so does the red cross. If its not free i know it is fairly cheap.
    brailynsmama08

    Answer by brailynsmama08 at 5:20 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

  • The new texture often just makes them gag... and it takes practice for them to learn how to chew the foods.
    I would try the yogurt melt again and break it up so it dissolves faster. When he gets used to it then try the puffs again.
    My son is around the same age and used to gag on goods alot.. somtimes still does if it really weird in texture for him. I just make sure all new things are very tiny and that I can mash them between my fingers first.
    AmiJanell

    Answer by AmiJanell at 5:55 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

  • 9 months is a little early in my opinion for finger foods. I would stay with the soft foods for now and try again in a month or two. Some babies mature at different rates. Ours wasn't able to dissolve the puffs until closer to 10-11 months, if I remember right. He never did like the yogurt melts. Babies also just have different tastes in general. Of the puffs, he only liked banana, not apple or the others. As for choking, he's got his whole life to learn how to chew...

    As for the CPR class, GREAT IDEA, call the Red Cross or local hospital. Good luck!
    doodlebopfan

    Answer by doodlebopfan at 6:47 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Babies (0-12 months)
period?