Pants?

Our 5 year old has destroyed at least 5-6 pairs of pants - jeans/khakis/you name it - within the last week and a half! I went out and bought a bunch of new ones but I don't want those ruined too. At home I'm just letting him play in the crummy ones, but at school I want him to not look like a little pauper and send him in decent ones, and half the time he comes home with those ripped too! What can I do until it gets warm enough for shorts and he's torturing his knees rather than his pants??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:16 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• ha ha ha
    i feel your pain
    my does the same thing
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 5:17 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• my daughter's only 3 so excuse my ignorance here (shes a major tomboy so im also just curious) but what is he doing in school that is tearing his pants? is he doing it in the few mins they have for recess? i mean hes only in kindergarden if hes 5 right? so they are only there half the day...im just confused
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:19 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Yeah, he must do it at recess. He's not 100% sturdy on his feet - he was born with clubbed feet and I think it hasn't been corrected fully - so he falls a lot while running, or purposely dives on the ground, etc.
    Anonymous

• not all kg are 1/2 day, and mine does it running and slidding on his knees, or crawling around pushing cars
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 5:28 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Kg half a day? I've never even heard of that. I remember a full 8 hours.
    Anonymous

• Sears has a guarantee that clothes will last till the kid outgrows them. If the clothes get wrecked during normal use before they outgrow them they'll replace them. I assume you need the receipt but if they need replaced every week shouldn't be a problem to keep that! I think the policy is printed on the back of the slip, it's probably on their web site too.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 8:40 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Maybe get him slightly larger or longer pants... not baggy, but just more room. Make it... not so easy to rip.
    ChangingSeasons

Answer by ChangingSeasons at 10:58 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I forgot about the Sears thing - there's an idea! Clothes and such are always bought on credit card by me - and I save ALL credit card receipts and staple them to each monthly bill, so that's not a problem either.

As for loose/longer pants - they are. All different styles and materials, so he's doing something to them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Why don't you make him pay for them. Give him a clothing allowance. If he keeps his clothes nice he gets the money. IF he doesn't, it goes to buy him new clothes.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 4:55 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I feel your pain too, but its not my son that does it. Its my daughter and shes almost 11! I have always sent my kids to school in nice clothes. Its just how I was raised. I am a deal finder though and even though I dont pay full price for anything, its still very disheartening for her to come home with a pair of abercrombie pants or jeans with big holes in the knees. She got a brown courdoroy pair for christmas and she went skating in them. They got a small hole in them and she wore them to school once and now theres a big hole in both knees. Shes hard on shoes too. I think I might look into the sears kidvantage program like the other poster suggested. As he grows and gets more active, its likely to get worse....LOL
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:03 AM on Apr. 13, 2009