How do you feel about reparations?

I know this may stir the pot, and really this is not my intention. I am doing a sociology paper on reparations for slavery of African Americans and wanted to know how some people felt about it.

btw-the only category I could find was Just for fun, even though this isnt...

jajumommy2000

Asked by jajumommy2000 at 5:37 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Like beating a dead horse. The better question is how do YOU feel about it since "if it's not a fact based paper, it will be your opinion"?

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 5:40 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Well, it is part fact based, based on papers we have to read on it, and part our opinion on the matter. I just wanted opinions and insight of others...
    jajumommy2000

Answer by jajumommy2000 at 5:44 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• African-American's today suffered nowhere near what they're ancestors who were actually slaves did. I fully believe and support the fact that African American's are still somewhat oppressed today and yes it is part of the repercussions of slavery but I don't believe in pay someone back for something that was never directly done to them. It's over and the only thing left to do is keep moving forward. No one living today enslaved anyone living today, and none of us had a say in what our ancestors did, or had done to them. So really, no one living today had a part of slavery at all so I don't see the point in having to "fix" it.
    Anonymous

• I think it would be hard. As a Japanese American I had relatives receive reparations in the 40's. (Of course, they did lose their homes, and their jobs and were put in "internment" camps.) But there was actual documentation of who was where.

My husband is "white" His parents are "white" but there great-great-great grandmother was a slave. Will it only be for African Americans or for anyone who has relatives who were slaves?
    Anonymous

• no black person today should get anything . it was not them that had it happen to them . if it happened to them then ok what ever help them out but it didnt happn to them . they are not african americans they are americans . if they were born here then americans is what they are. an african american is someone born in african and now lives here as a citizen .
    Anonymous

• My initial feelings are "didn't we do this already?" My feelings after that are always "what about everyone elses' reparations for horrible things in history and why does today's generation who hasn't done anything wrong have to foot the bill?"

What about women? What about how poorly women have been treated throughout the centuries in almost every culture? What about when we had no vote and couldn't own property? Where are our reparations? I think every decendant of a woman deserves reparation lol. At that point...couldn't we just call it even?

If we keep printing money, it won't be worth any more than the paper it is printed on.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 5:53 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I'm African-American though my grandmother was white & Native American. I wouldn't want it even if the country were not in debt. I'm not sure how they would go about deciding who would recieve it anyway. My family is so mixed and in my opinion alot of black families are too. We're afforded they same opportunities as everyone else. I see no reason to shell out millions of dollars. There is a group out if you didn't know who actually want reparations paid out to blk people.
    Anonymous

• I do not support reparations in any way, shape or form. That was then, this is now, and people have great opportunites here in America!
    Anonymous

• I don't think it should be done. There's the fact that (as others have already said) no one alive today was a slave nor is anyone alive today who had slaves, so no one is entitled to nor should have to pay out money for it. It would be like asking to be reimbursed for your ancestor's boat ride from Europe when they came here.

Then there's also the issue of how to decide who gets it, and for what reasons. If you're going to give money to a black person for their ancestor that was a slave, then are you also going to give it to the women who's ancestors were told they couldn't vote, couldn't work, couldn't whatever? What about giving money to descendants of former soldiers who died in war? To descendants of the Native Americans who walked the Trail of Tears, or were outright killed for their land? There is no end to the different people who have somehow been abused at some point in history.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:58 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• If an African-American was alive during the time of slavery, then sure they should have reparations.

What I wonder is why this one group is singled out? Japanese-Americans were sent to interment camps...where is that money? Native Americans sent on the trail of tears and some tribes obliterated...where is that money? Women were oppressed for YEARS...what about them?

Anonymous