Pre K Testing

I am exploring private school for my daughter. In the Fall, all applicants will go through observation and testing. My daughter at this point will be almost 3.5 and she is testing for the 2010 - 2011 school year. My question is, what are they looking for specifically - has anyone been through this? She has a June birthday so she is a little younger than some of the others in her 'class year'. I feel she is pretty good at picking up things. She will be 3 this June and can count to 20, knows ABC through identification, all shapes and colors, she can draw some shapes and knows some Spanish / French. The last thing I want to be is a parent who stresses about these silly things. I am curious what do expect during this process?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:21 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I don't know what to expect. I would say with a child that young, expect the unexpected. I teach K in public school, but I'd think any testing results done now for the 2010-2011 school year would be less valid because of the time span from the test, to the child actually enrolling into the school program. I'd ask the school--you have every right to know what they are assessing, and how the evaluations will be used so far off into the future.  Can you also ask another parent about this process?  They may have a clearer perspective.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 6:35 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• The admissions office just stated you can't really prepare them. I am thinking it is mostly to see how they interact from an attention and discipline perspective but that her chances will decrease the later her birthday is - seems they would factor in that some kids will have birthdays 10 months apart. But, I know from the reputation of the school they want the kids most 'capable' and they only take 50% of applicants.....it's all a little hazy.
    Anonymous

• What you're describing about the school sounds very similar to my niece's school. She had to test to get into Pre-K but they wouldn't divulge what she would be tested on to my Sis and BIL.

Good luck to you and your daughter!
    Anonymous

• its prob a wipsi 111 test, the kid goes in another room with the tester then u get a report
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:31 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Well, my two oldest have had IEP's and tests that go along with them. In those tests, they are looking for speech or development problems. Don't know what this school maybe looking for though.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 12:57 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• As far as I know they are only checking for developmental delays, social skills and emotional readiness. Preschool (here anyway) is where they kids go to learn academics...they don't have to know any to get in.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:33 AM on Apr. 13, 2009