How old was your child when you put them in a front facing carseat?

My daughter is 9 months old and her carseat is a rear facing. It was it only goes up to 22 lbs and 28 inches long. She is preemie so she still fits in the carseat pretty well. she is already 17 lbs (almost) and 27 inches, but I dont feel she is ready for a front facing one. Any suggestions?

delaineysmama

Asked by delaineysmama at 6:48 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They say its 1 year. I would call your local sheriffs office to find out your states policy on it. Most states say 1 year or once they reach the height requirement for the rear facing seat. That is the best way to go to get the correct age. I know in Virginia its 1 year and my daughter is 18 lbs and 27.5 inches and is only 7 months so she probably won't make it to 1 year but I wont turn it around any sooner than 11 months. So call your local sheriffs office to get the specific requirement for your state.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 6:51 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• She should stay rear facing until at LEAST 1 year AND 20lbs.

We turned ours at a year.....they were near 25lbs.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:18 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• There are seats, called convertible car seats, which rear face, and then forward face. This is what I would suggest to you. My daughter was 12 mos and 19 lbs when I turned her forward, for lack of better knowledge. My son is 20 mos, 19-20 lbs, and still rear facing. I'd like to recommend a seat called True Fit. It runs around $189, and can rear face up to 35 lbs, and then forward faces up to 65 lbs. We love it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:30 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• My son is nine months old. His baby car seat only held 22 lbs. He weighs around 25 lbs. We just bought him a infant toddler carseat that holds up to 90 pounds. there are adjustable straps to move to his height. He is still rear-facing in this carseat, but when he is older it will also be used for his toddler/booster seat. It was a good buy.
    MeagMomma0809

Answer by MeagMomma0809 at 7:33 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• MeagMomma.... I just want you to know that the seat you bought probably does not harness to 90 lbs. I've never heard of one (that is not a special needs seat) that harnesses that high. The highest I know of is 80 lbs. You may already know this, but just wanted to point it out in case you did not. Would you mind sharing the name of the seat you have?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:36 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• therre are ones that can go front or back when she out grows the carrier if she is not 1 or very close to it, you can get one of those
    here is a link to 1 at walmart so you know what to look for
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8054497#Item+Description
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:55 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I moved my kids a little after a year like 14 mos some a little later. If she out grows the infant carrier rear facing seat try the converter seats that go both rear and forward facing. If you have a small car might be a problem but usually they do the trick. The preemie I had was caught up to where he should be by the time he was a year but just because I was a little over protective he didn't make the switch till he was almost 2 but my other 4 it was not long after a year.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 7:57 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Ours was one year old when he went forward facing. (And 25 lbs, he was 20 lbs at 7 mos) But we did get him a converter seat that would both rear face & forward face when he was ready. We got it at Target, $50 (wanted Navy & they had more color selections for boy/girl, Walmart just had tan.) We didn't want to spend $200 because we bought 2, one for me & DH so we didn't have to switch it out. You might want to look into a converter seat in case she growth spurts and hits that 28", before 12 mos & 20 lbs. Have a Happy Easter! PS-Here's ours, ck target.com & walmart.com.

http://www.target.com/Cosco-Scenera-Convertible-Seat-Transatlantic/dp/B001E6KIUQ/sr=1-1/qid=1239583709/ref=sr_1_1/176-8930181-9563208?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=0&index=target&rh=k%3Acosco%20scenera&page=1
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 8:54 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• get a convertable carseat. The AAP has just released a new recomendation that children should stay rear facing to 2yrs. New research indicates that toddlers are more than five times safer riding rear-facing in a car safety seat up to their second birthday. Here is a link. My guess is that laws will come to reflect this new recomendation. http://aapnews.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/30/4/12-a
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 9:06 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• First, 28" would just be a guideline. It's based on the 50th percentile for children, assuming that they'll hit the max weight around that height. For a rear-facing seat, she's outgrown it when the top of her head is an inch or less from the top of the shell of the carseat.
    Weight, however, is absolute.
    THe very minimum a child CAN be faced forward is 1 year AND 20 pounds. It's even illegal prior.
    The SAFEST, though, is to keep your child rear-facing as long as you possibly can. With seats out there like the First Years True Fit (around $160-180), you can hit the current max in the US of rear-facing until your child weighs 35 lbs. That's generally between 2-4 years old. Some people thing that's extreme, but it's proven to be safest. Even the AAP now says that 2 should be the minimum for rear-facing.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 9:09 PM on Apr. 12, 2009