I recently had my daughter 4 weeks ago and I am breastfeeding I was wondering what the likelihood was of me getting pregnant if we are not using protection and should I be worried if we have already had unprotected sex?

taundra

Asked by taundra at 6:58 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It's definitely possible to get pregnant, even if you are breastfeeding. You ovulate before you have a period, so you can get pregnant even before having your first postpartum period.  With my first son I started my period about 2 months post partum, and with my newest I had my first period before my 6 weeks appointment!  I was excluisvely breastfeeding both!

dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 7:02 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• If you don't want another child right now then you need to use some form of BC
    Anonymous

• As long as you have unprotected sex at any time, you are ALWAYS at risk for getting pregnant. I had sex ONE time the day after my period and got pregnant! Use BC.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 7:24 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Yes, it is entirely possible to conceive now.  You should definitely be using protection unless you want another baby this soon.

Answer by Bmat at 7:44 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• It is possible, but a lot less likely if you are exclusively breastfeeding. Even though I wouldn't risk it, I didn't get my cycles back until a month or so after I stopped nursing my first, so I wouldn't be overly concerned if you have already done it. And good lord...you didn't wait! I was way too torn up down there to even think about it for even longer than they recommend.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 7:57 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• You can get pregnant, but the chances are really really really really slim. Breastfeeding usually does it by itself, but as your child starts to get older and eat more table foods, you should make sure you are on something. I wouldn't worry if I were you.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 8:06 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I've have heard stories of many women who happened to get pregnant during breastfeeding. Although, you don't have a period, yea, it doesn't mean you can't conceive. Weird that it would be like that, but definitely talk to your OB or Doctor about a contraceptive. A good OB will discuss birth control options with you before you give birth so for this type of reason.
    momtoblake

Answer by momtoblake at 8:10 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• if u just had a baby 4 weeks ago, do u realize how fertile u are!! lol..u can get pregnant WICKED easily...as my fiance's friends say "just poking her will prolly get her pregnant again" lol

btw...after 4 weeks of BF, do ur boobs still hurt? i plan to BF for a year
    MissKellee

Answer by MissKellee at 9:04 PM on Apr. 12, 2009