my kitchen is super small. . .

so i had to put up some utility shelfs in it. lol

I have a 'hall way' kitchen, were its on both sides of the wall about. . .6 ft, maybe 7 ft and thats it. so on one side of my fridge (by my kitchen table) I put up the shelfs.

I don't want it to look tacky, ok, even more so.....
how would you make them look better?? I have to put like my cookie sheets, ice tea maker, george foreman grill, and coffee pot on it, just so i can have some counter space. I seriously don't have room anywhere else in my kitchen cabinets.

One is for my cups, plates, bowls, one is for my main foods. one is for my spices, breakfast foods, one is for my cook books and other cooking magazines and other importaint so its well out of reach of small hands (over stove)
and then over my fridge is my wok, my cup cake tower, ice cube trays, and a plastic container. .

and the one cabinet (other than under sink) has collander, pots, and such..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:09 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I have the same style kitchen. I make as much use of vertical space as I can. Stack the cookie sheets and place them on their sides in the cupboard with the colander and pots, they'll take up an INCH of space, if that. Same with the GF grill. I have baskets for my spices that take up a lot less room than if I were to set each spice on the shelf. Stack bowls on top of plates if there is room. My coffeepot stays on the counter in a corner. I also have some shelves in my laundry room, which is right off the kitchen, to store extra things.
    You can paint the shelves to match the kitchen walls, they won't stand out as much. You can also tack some decorative ribbon or material along the front of the shelves or stencil (paint) a small design like a vine or flowers along the front.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 7:59 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• ***OP***
    ok i ment 'shelves'

Any help would be great!!

Thanks gals!!!
    Anonymous

• Paint them to match the kitchen decor. Maybe sponge paint them. Make the shelves look decorative rather than utilitarian.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:14 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• its a galley kitchen...we just had ours done and its small also.the best thing that was done because i had to was throw away everything you dont need.ya you can put up those shelves.we did our kitchen white cause it is small.go threw all the drawers and cabinets and such.maybe a new coat of paint.no kitchen curtains or see threw curtains.thats what we did get lace curtains.i would just put as less stuff in it as possible,,,good luck
    raineydays377

Answer by raineydays377 at 7:27 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Is there anything, perhaps, that you can store in another room- things you don't use very often. This would help clear out some space.

Answer by Bmat at 7:52 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Sounds tacky to me, I would rethink what you have to have near you all day everyday, get rid of some stuff, and put those items in other places. The cupcake tower can go in the garage I would think you don't use that everyday.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• My garage is detached, and a ways from the house. Not to mention no room in there for anything other than our truck. . . ..

Yes, its tacky, but there isn't much I can do! Its stuff I use. . .if not daily, every other day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:27 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Line them with some contact paper that matches or compliments your current kitchen decor and perhaps add the lace stuff along the fronts or get a nice cloth from your local fabric department and enclose them.
    Tygermommanikki

Answer by Tygermommanikki at 9:02 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I would put stuff on them that is decorative as well as practical. Put the cook books neatly then a little fake plant. I agree to get the decorative baskets where you can organize spices and other things and sit the basket up there. Anything you can organize in a few baskets could go there so you can hide other things in your cabinets.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:58 AM on Apr. 13, 2009