help..almost 15 year old with uti infections

I have a daughter who will be 15 in a couple of months. She has had UTI infections for numerous years. She has seen 2 different urologists. Has been put to sleep at the hospital only to find she had scarring which meant she was holding her urine too long. She has had ultrasound, sonogram, the reflux test, etc. Once she is done with meds she gets an infection again. Now she hardly gets symptoms anymore but you can tell she has one because urine is foul and super cloudy. She got a kidney infection a couple of weeks ago. Now finally they are sending her to Childrens Hospital in a couple of months. What do you think the problem can be? I am worried her kidneys are permantly damaged.

katiebrett

Asked by katiebrett at 7:14 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Force clear fluids. Water. If she gets bored with that, add a light flavoring to it. No heavy sugars in her diet. Lighten up on the meat. Minimal orange juice. Be careful of her vitamin C intake.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:18 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• If she gets one again before her appointment at your Children's Hosp, I'd take her to THEIR e r. Let their e r docs examine her and then say you want a pediatric kidney consult before you leave the
    e r. Poor thing, I'm so sorry for her pain. I've taken my kids to Children's in Philadelphia and been very very happy with them if that's any where near you.
    Anonymous

• Does she wipe right? I use to get UTI's cause I didn't wipe right. Is she sexually active.? If she is having sex and not peeing right after, she can get a UTI that way.. Drinking cranberry juice help with UTI's

Answer by louise2 at 7:21 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Lots of water is what my urologist told me. Best of luck on this. Keep those kidneys flushed. the last thing she needs is kidney stones on top of uti.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:24 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• aww hun idk, but best of luck to you and her, hope all goes well
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:43 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Having frequent sex, like back to back, causes uti. And if you don't pee after sex. Not that she is having sex but that's the only reason I could think for uti so close together.
    Anonymous

• my 15 year old get them from not drinking enough water since her last one she has been drinking lots of flavored water and kool aid and hasnt had one in about 4 months. I get mad at the schools here in arkansas because in my daughters school they get 3 bathroom passes per semester. that is sooo not enough especially for a girl. If your daughters school is doing the same maybe you can get a dr. note saying to let her go when she needs to.
    Anonymous

• I personally have had them many times, and more recently they just kept coming back. The doc put me on low grade antibiotics which helpedand I haven't had one for more than a year. My blatter was irriated that the least little bacteria would cause a UTI, thus the low anitbiotics avoid it from setting in.

You might also try cranberry tablets she can take daily. And as other readers said, she should go to the bathroom frequently (realistically, at least morning, noon, afternoon, dinner, bedtime) - and I agree with other readers that you may need to take steps to make sure this is happening in school! And yes, drink fluids, wipe front to back, pee after sex, and also - certain jeans, even a bit tight, can also bring on a UTI. I hate this last point because it's hard to wear anything else, but it is true - I know if my jeans are the least bit too small, likely I will have a uti the next day!

Good luck!
    PhillyinFrance

Answer by PhillyinFrance at 2:51 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Diabetes can also cause you to be more prone to infections. Make sure they check that. Please update us as soon as you find out what is going on. It could be that her urine is not ph balanced right and making it more hospitable to bacteria.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 4:17 AM on Apr. 13, 2009