real diets for real people?

So.... the other day at the doc office my blood sugar was high- i am having blood work doen in the morn but i am freaked out a bit. I currently weight what I did went I went to the hops to deliver my son (who is 5 1/2 yrs old now). And I need to make a change. Not only do I need to loose weight for my self image, and for my healt, but the fast food meals are adding up and hurting my wallet.
I have allways eaten crappy, and never had a prob until the past few years.
I need tips that are acctually reasonable and obtainable. I am a single mom, I work full time, my son playes socce, and I am very involved in my church, so meals that take a long time to prep are not really an option.
HELP :)

mommymeg03

Asked by mommymeg03 at 7:24 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Health

• My son was just put on a diet by a nutritionist and his doctor. 1300 calories/day. He has 45# to lose he said. He eats 5 times a day. 3 meals/2 snacks. He says he goes to bed full. He also works out every day. Maybe you should see a nutritionist also.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:34 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• cut out fast food, carbonated beverages, cut down drastically on refined sugar, eat more protein and less carbs. I hate cooking so I make simple meals (and lost 50 lbs making these changes). First is breakfast. I hate eating breakfast but I do it now to jump start my metabolism. I do like Eirelass said, eat 3 meals and 2 snacks. It seems like I'm always eating! I eat a lot of fruit and veggies. I buy packages of crabmeat (fully cooked, sweet, 30 calories and good for protein). I snack on those if I am out of fruit. I steam some carrots and other veggies to have around to snack on. I eat a lot of fish. I throw in some mixed veg in a dutch oven then add the fish (or chicken) and bake it at a high heat (400) and in less than 30 min my meal is done. I make enough for another meal (usually lunch the next day). Kids usually like chicken. I cut up chicken into bite sizes and quick fry them in olive oil. Add a salad or side and Voila

Answer by admckenzie at 8:42 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I'm diabetic so I should be on a special diet, but I've found that if I just eat fewer carbs and fill my plate with more protein and veggies that I do better. I don't have to cook anything special, just what my family enjoys. You have to be aware of what kinds of foods contain a lot of carbs... anything breaded, most all cereals and breads, pastas...and how large a proper serving size is (1/2 cup.) In the veggie world corn, peas and squash are all starchy (containing carbs) veggies and should be measured and eaten as such. Fiber will offset carb absorption so eat foods with plenty of fiber, like raw veggies and fresh fruit like apples, pears & peaches (with the skin on), whole grains (in moderation), All-Bran cereal, etc. Eat protein for snacks...string cheese, hard boiled eggs, sugar free yogurt, cream cheese stuffed celery. If you eat at McDonald's have a grilled chicken sandwich or burger, just throw away the bun & fries.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:09 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Ideas for meals: make grilled chicken breast or steak strips. Son will enjoy them eaten with baked fries and you can put them on a salad. Stir fry beef or chicken with veggies served over rice for the boy and lentils for you. Spaghetti for the kid, spaghetti sauce over lentils for you (it's really not too bad that way!). I have a spaghetti sauce mix with no sugar recipe that I'm willing to share..takes just a minute to put together. Also, taco shells have fewer carbs so you could have a couple of tacos, and my kids LOVE tacos! Lasagna, tator tot casserole, roasted chicken...just remember that YOU need to watch your portion sizes.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:19 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Cut out fast food and soda, even diet soda. Limit portions to what a normal portion should be. Follow portion sizes on the packages of food. Eat lots of fruits and veggies. Lots of water too. I did this and amost 30 lbs melted off. I have also invested in the Weight Watchers materials and follow that. You can also ask your doc for a diet that diabetics follow, it works too. Those are all things my doctor recommended to me to lose weight in a healthy manner. Exercising helps a lot to.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:35 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Raw food diet. Living Foods for Optimum Health is a good book to read, changed my mind completely about food. I thought by eating organic food all the time I was eating healthy, but I wasn't! I haven't gone completely raw yet, but just by eating one raw meal a day I have managed to cut coffee completely out of my life, stopped getting yeast infections, have better skin and have more sustained energy through out the day. I also like that making raw meals is pretty easy, what could be easier then a salad?
    dhsredhead

Answer by dhsredhead at 12:43 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Hello, I can give you some information if you would be interested. I can show you how to lose the weight without diet, pills or surgery from a treatment garment developed to burn fat..also you may want to do a natural body cleanse to clean out your colon sometimes it adds to our weight problem..just let me know..be blessed
    cbarconia

Answer by cbarconia at 12:37 AM on Apr. 18, 2009