Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What age can a minor child choose which parent he/she wants to live with in the state of Iowa?

Answer Question

Asked by mshouk79 at 7:35 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • If the child's minor isn't that decided in court? Meaning the child can voice a preference at what ever age but it depends on parental situations and income, lifestyle and such.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:39 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

  • idk about iowa, in ny its is 13 i think
    google it

    Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:40 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

  • Not sure about Iowa but Wisconsin is 12 or 13. Ask an attorney that deals with child custody.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:51 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

  • the child can state a preference but they don't get to choose. Only the judge gets to decide.

    Answer by heatherann0221 at 1:28 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

  • I've seen judges take a 12 or 13 year old's opinion into consideration. There have been cases where one parent is financially stable, but the kid went to the home where the other parent was on stamps. Primarily because the environment provided at the "stable' home was unhealthy, and the judge could sense that in the teens sentiments. There is also something called emancipated minor, which I think you can be starting at the age of 13 or 14.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:44 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.