What do you do about a rude family member?

We celebrate holidays with my mom, my cousin’s family (including her daughters), and my Uncle (the grandfather of my cousin’s daughter). My mom and I have always bought nice gifts for the girls. My son is 4 years younger than them and ever since he was born my uncle has completely jipped him on all holidays. Today he brought the girls very nice Easter gifts with several toys and outfits. He gave my son a mesh pool chair he had obviously pulled out his garage.

For now Nate is too little to notice or care. But what will I do as he gets older and has to sit and watch his cousins open all these gifts in front of him?

MAUREEN55

Asked by MAUREEN55 at 8:09 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Holidays

• why dont you kindly ask him why he doe not include your child maybe you could by a gift your your child and ell your child it is from so and so maybe he will get the hint!
    DeborahElder

Answer by DeborahElder at 11:02 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• that has happen to me and now she does not see her grandma at all my mother in law i won't aloud her to play with kids like that
    nakita72

Answer by nakita72 at 8:12 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I forgot to mention he brought eggs to hide and made a point of making sure I understood they were only for the girls, not my son. So they went in the front yard and had an egg hunt while we sat in the house. The 6 year old came in and offered to share her eggs with Nate since he didn't get to hunt.  I actually started to tear up I was so upset.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 8:13 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Do what we did, don't put your son in the situation. Just stop doing the get togethers if they can't treat all the kids equally. I learned that people like that don't change and life is too short to fight. We have our own holidays now. The other thing is, cheap or not, even older kids don't notice things like that as much as we do. We didn't get anyone's kids anything this year because the parents couldn't stop judging what everyone else gave their kids. But yes, a pool chair is tacky.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 8:14 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Yeah, sounds like you need to find better holiday plans. If you keep doing the same thing, you are putting him and you through IT every time!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 8:15 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I would stop going to family event..When a family member asked why I wont go I would tell them.

He might think sense your son is not his grandchild he does not need to buy things for him.

Answer by louise2 at 8:18 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I don't mean to offend but could he favor them because they are girls?
    Anonymous

• Yeah but if you do an Easter egg hunt at a get together all kids should be involved, that's just shitty to me...
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 8:22 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Apr. 12, 2009 by: Anonymous
    I don't mean to offend but could he favor them because they are girls?

I think it's becuase they are his grandaughters and my son is only his great nephew. No offense taken.
    MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 8:33 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Not that I'm a huge Dr. Phil fan..but I do love this one "If you keep dpoing what you've always done , you'll keep getting what you've always got"

Change is totally in your hands. My Stepfather played this BS with my sisters kids..somehow they were more precious then my own. We quit going until my sis asked me why. She said BS..then we got together at MY house and he wasn't invited.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:34 PM on Apr. 12, 2009