How do we keep our 2.5-year-old son in his room?

At night we put him back in bed as soon as he gets up without any other interaction except after a while we threaten to take his pacifier or lovies. Eventually, he falls asleep, not always in bed, but at least he doesn't open the door again.
However, the last couple mornings he's learned to climb the gate in the morning and comes in to wake me up and goes in the nursery wakes up his brother. Last night, it was 1:00am that he came in and woke us all up.
Short of putting a lock on the door, what can we do to keep him in his room?!?!

Curllyq

Asked by Curllyq at 8:13 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am in alot the same situation w/ girl thats almost 3. I will keep reading your post to see what others say. - Good Luck to us both. :)
    bristle3kids

Answer by bristle3kids at 8:17 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• So, he needs security and he comes to you and you threaten to take away the other security measures he has. Don't know why that isn't working.
    Seriously just continue to put him back without saying anything.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 8:18 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• i had to put a gate on top of a gate, but my son is also afraid of heights for whatever reason so thats why it worked for me. i wouldnt say to put a lock on the door lol even though im not going to lie i thought about doing this myself too lol... but um other than that idk what to tell you. you can buy more expensive gates that they cant climb. they arent TOO hard to find. but thats all i can suggest. good luck =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 9:23 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• There are all kinds of security things you can get for this type of stuff. I saw one that you can put on the bottom of the dorr that makes it to where they can't open the door from the inside but it can still be opened from the outside. Thath stops the child from opening the door, but not you from getting to them. You can look in the baby asile at Walmart or ask at a local hardware store or baby store.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 10:32 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• You could try an alarm on his door - the type sold for use in hotels. When the door knob is turned, the alarm goes off. This will wake you so you'll know if he's wandering the house at 2am. Of course it may scare the pants off of him and wake the baby too.

I'd also suggest you put a baby monitor in his room and make sure he knows that you can hear him and will come if he needs you.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:05 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• * SusieD250: No, he's not coming for security. If he were upset, I wouldn't mind. He comes giggling and running around and just doesn't want to go to bed. I have never let my children cry it out, what are the chances I'd be callas enough to send him to bed when he needed comfort?
    Thanks anyhow. Try to be a little more helpful next time someone asks for help.
    Curllyq

Answer by Curllyq at 10:31 PM on Apr. 15, 2009

• Thanks to everyone else...I will check on alarms maybe. If nothing else, maybe it would startle him in to shutting the door and going back to bed! Though now that I think of it, he'll probably just do it for fun to make the noise go off:(
    We do have a monitor and he knows that we come as soon as he cries out for us.
    Curllyq

Answer by Curllyq at 10:34 PM on Apr. 15, 2009