Easter chicken???

Could someone explain the reason the Easte Bunny brings eggs??? I'm sure there's a reason behind it, it just seems like maybe it should be the Easter Chicken. What about the whole dying eggs? Where does that come from? I suppose I could google it but I'd rather ask the CMs what they think.

the3jsandme

Asked by the3jsandme at 8:23 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• The Easter Bunny is an attempt to secularize the holiday by symbolizing "Spring." Coloring eggs was started to show how something plain could be transformed into something beautiful (like the transformation of a person when they accept Christ.)
    RyleeMendez

Answer by RyleeMendez at 8:28 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Easter eggs and bunnies are originally from a pagan holiday that originated in Germany in the 1600s. Both the egg and bunny (or hare) are symbols of fertility. The egg is obvious, the bunny or hare is not. The bunny is likely represented because during the Vernal Equinox or Spring, the hare is known to produce large litters.

Since the 1600s the eggs have been colored and the bunnies have been made into chocolate and the whole idea has turned into a commercial holiday that has been since exploited by retailers. Don't get me wrong, I think the holiday is fun, and yes, we color eggs at our house and find the hidden Easter baskets. But, at the same time, our children are well informed that it is just for fun. We go to church together as a family, we pray, and thank Jesus for dying on the cross for us. We also come home and have a wonderful meal and enjoy fellowship with our family and friends.

aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 8:51 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• It is my understanding that for centuries eggs have been a symbol of birth or new life. The dying like another mom said to symbolize how a plain egg becomes beautiful. The bunny well, a celebration of spring. Its all a little crazy and mixed up. We celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ on Easter Sunday. We still participate in all the spring fun but we dont lose sight of what the holiday is REALLY about.
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 9:26 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Well, all I know is as a child, the idea of a giant mutated bunny that layed eggs, freaked me the hell out!!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:51 PM on Apr. 12, 2009