I LOOOOVE Pitties!!!

Any other moms out there who love the bully breeds? I have a boxer/pit bull mix who we rescued two years ago, he's just amazing! Hubby and I are expecting our first human baby on May 18th; we're so excited!
Like many pit owners, we know the breed and have worked extensively on obedience training and manners, and will continue to do so after the baby is born.
If you have a dog, how does he/she act around your little one(s)?

SarahLeeMorgan

Asked by SarahLeeMorgan at 8:33 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Pets

• I too am a pit lover. My SO and I love them to the fullest. We had a pit boxer mix, but had to give her to a friend because we were moving and found out AFTER we moved that they didnt want us having a dog anymore, probably because of the breed. but anyways, she wasn't even a year and she was the most amazing dog everrrr. another good friend of ours has a pit and she is just amazing with our son. ever since he was about 2 and the dog was about 9 months or so up till about now, and our son will be 3 real soon, they did everything together. i want another one SO bad. i really cant wait!!!
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 9:12 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Pitties are such amazing dogs, aren't they?? We've decided that our little girl will always have a pittie around, and when Daddy graduates from the Police Academy, she won't have any hope of ever dating, lol!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 9:23 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• i have a pit/american bull dog mix. She'll be 9 months on the 25th and my kids are almost 3,4 and my newest is due next friday..Lucy just lets them climb all over her and torture the shit out of her and she just lets them..Pits are my fav breed. they're just so pretty and so misunderstood..we should start a pit lovers group.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 9:41 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• All I have to say is hate the deed not the breed. I have seen Chihuahuas attack more than pit bulls... every pit bull I have ever met was a beautiful gentle giant. We have a baby put had to put our furry baby down a couple months ago. She was just very old and sick and miserable. But my mothers dogs (she has 4 3 corgis and one golden retriever) all are very gentle with my son. The retriever has taken on my son as her personal job. She never leaves his side lays with him on teh floor and helps him play. If he cries she licks his face and he gigles. Its very sweet. I miss having a dog desperately.
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 9:56 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• tnteaton: I just looked, there are some groups already for pit lovers, I'm going to join one now :)

humaniterian: I never had a dog growing up, my parents are not dog people. I got mine when hubby was still in the military; I got tired of being left at home alone, so I wanted a big tough looking but sweet dog; lol little did we know it would start an obsession with the pitties, hah!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 10:11 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I think they should ban pits they are evil and completley useless I love my children way to much to have them around a pitbull
    Anonymous

• @ Anon: ignorance is not a good trait to have. Pit Bulls pass the American Temperament Test at a higher rate than Golden Retrievers.

American Pit Bull Terriers: 85.3% passing
    Chihuahuas: 71.1% passing
    Golden Retrievers: 84.6% passing
    http://www.atts.org/statistics.html

Next time, know what you're talking about before you speak, you wouldn't want to make yourself look like an ass, would you?
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 10:24 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• lol..couldnt have said that better sarahlee!

and i joined a pit group right after i posted my comment earlier
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 1:45 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• I had a pit/shar pei mix . . . . he's gone now. He was the sweetest doggie ever and Shar pei's are known to have bad temperament, so I guess he only took the wrinkles with him and kept the pit personality. He was so cute. He had a little stuffed bear and he would carry around with him and groom it. He never chewed it. I would say "Rocky, where's your baby?" . . . and he would run and get his baby. It was so sweet. I loved that dog so much. I would babysit a friend's daughter on a regular basis, and Rocky wouldn't even step on her blanket when it was on the floor. He was always right there though and would run to me if the baby cried, making sure she was ok. He was very protective, but as gentle as can be.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:45 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• lol...according to anon, i dont love my kids! isnt that some funny shit?
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 1:46 PM on Apr. 13, 2009