I am 20 weeks pregnant and found out last friday that I am leaking amniotic fluid, so far nothing they have told me is good. Is there anyone out there that has had this experience and had a good outcome?

carisa2009

Asked by carisa2009 at 8:38 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I don't have any advice for you. Just prayers. I hope things get better for you and your doctors come up with a solution.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 8:43 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• yea, i don't know anything about it, but my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Anonymous

• The sac CAN seal itself back up... And as long as they don't induce you/give you a c-section, for AT LEAST a week, things could be okay... the earliest I have heard of a baby living prematurely is 21 weeks and 3 days... I really hope everything goes alright with you. Make sure you're getting plenty of rest and things. Call your doctor and ask if there is anything specific you could do to help it close on its own =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 9:09 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• I assume that they checked the pH of the fluid to make sure it was actually amniotic fluid (it isn't always!) and are keeping an eye on you, so the medical advice is their field. What I can tell you is that sometimes the amniotic sac does get a small tear in it which leaks the fluid - it often repairs itself and is no longer a problem.

Avoiding vaginal exams is a good idea while the sac is not sealed, because that gives a direct route for bacteria to be pushed into the vaginal canal (even if their hands are gloved, if there is any bacteria around the outside of your vag, they can push it inside where it can be harmful.) The same goes for avoiding intercourse, naturally.

The leaking is not something to take lightly, but it can be okay.

If you have ANY contractions or lower back pain, or any bleeding, please get to the hospital right away - even if they checked you earlier that day and you weren't dilated or effaced at all.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 9:12 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Just wanted to add that as long as you are being monitored for signs of infection (and they've told you what to look for as well so that you know when to call them),your amniotic fluid levels stay okay, and the baby isn't showing signs of stress: continuing the pregnancy is better than inducing this prematurely. If your baby is born now there is 100% chance he will be a micro-preemie and have associated risks and challenges. If you continue the pregnancy, there is NOT that same chance that you will contract an infection, and it gives your baby more time to grow and develop. Every single week in the womb brings just that much more strength to your baby, so take every extra day you can get.

Please stay well hydrated - your body is continually replenishing that amniotic fluid and you want to make sure that you're not the least bit dehydrated as that can contribute to premature labor. Blessings to you!
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 9:19 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• My cousin fell down a flight of stairs and it caused a small leak in her amniotic sac. She was hospitalized for several days on strict bed rest and the hole sealed itself back. She went on to have a good pregnancy and delivered at 38 weeks.

Are you in the hospital? What are they doing to monitor you? Are they having your hydrated orally or interveniously?
    Anonymous

• I'd basically put myself on bed rest if I was you and ask some friends or ur mom to help u clean and cook or come stay with you for awhile till ur next appt or at least a few mths.
    Anonymous

• no sex either
    Anonymous