I know I did the right thing but need to know what others think.

My dad is currently living with my husband and I and we just found out that my dad has been abusing my one year old dog that is apart of our family. We have had him since he was 6 months old and is the best dog any one could ever ask for. He plays with my two year old son and protects all of us with everything. He doesnt bite or ever hurt any one and my dad has been taking advantage of that. I had my knees over for the night last night and she said that my dog playfully jumped on her and my dad took his fist and hit him in the nose! She said she heard a popping noise cause he hit him so hard, I want to cry cause thats our baby. Hes like my child and I feel so bad for all the days I left him alone with my dad while I ran erronds or had to go to doc. appts.So today my husband went in his room and told him very nicely that he has to move out withen 5 days because we no longer trust him around our dog. Did we do the right thing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:39 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Relationships

• Do you think your niece could be over-reacting or exaggerating the story?

Anonymous

• As difficult as it is, yes, I think you may have done the right thing. What in the world did he say when you asked him IF he was hitting the dog and WHY he hit the dog like that?
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 8:43 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Hell YES!! You did exactly what you should have, I wouldn't have gave him 5 days!! Anyone that mistreats a poor defensive animal would hurt a person! Poor dog doesn't deserve to mistreated just because your dad has anger issues. No offense but your dad needs punched in the nose to show him how it felt to your dog.People that do that sort of thing really pisses me off! I admire the fact you had the guts to put him in his place. Don't feel bad for doing what you did! Hadn't you rather know how he is now instead of finding out by him hitting you or your child at some point.?
    1countrygal

Answer by 1countrygal at 8:45 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• All I can say is YES YOU DID THE RIGHT THING!!!. What a lucky dog you have - looking out for him. If I could reach through the comp. and hug you and dog I would. :) ( I know, Im corney) The whole issue will be over in 5 days and you are very smart.
    Anonymous

• my worry would have been if he feels ok with doing that to dogs, what could he be doing to your two legged kids behind your back! you definitely made the right choice.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 8:49 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• He denied it and said he just slapped him instead of hit him in the face with his fist and NO my niece is not exagerating hunny. Children tell ALL. Also she is not know as a liar like some kids but instead had to grow up way too fast and has a heart like no other. She was very sad and felt like she needed to protect our dog so she told me and also said to keep an eye on the dog so my dad didnt hit him again. This would not be the first time my dad has been cruel to animals, I was raised by him so I would know. However he put on a pretty good act that he loved our dog but for some reason never wanted to pet him and would never alow him in his bedroom. Almost as if he was disgusted by our dog. He was raised in a very violent family but hes a grown man and should no better not to hit an inocent animal.
    Anonymous

• Thank you guys soooo much for all the nice words!! Im so sad thinking about what else hes done to our baby but I can only correct the problem now and jus so others know, I am a stay at home mom and my son has never been alowed in my dads bedroom and thats were my dad always stays. Hes not a good person but I didnt have a choice at the time he moved in because we were struglling but now were still going to struglle a little but its sooo worth it cause I protect my dog like I would my own child. Thank you girls so very much for being so nice and not making me out to be the bad guy cause I just got a text from my so called sister that Im horrible and that its rediculouse that I am making my dad leave cause of my "Stupid" dog. She makes me wish I neve knew her sometimes. Like I said I Knew I was makeing the right choice but its always nice for other to back me up.
    Anonymous

• first the dog, next the child. you did the right thing

Answer by admckenzie at 8:56 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• admckenzie said exactly what i was thinking
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:59 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Oh yeah. That dog is not like your baby he IS your baby. If your father hit your one year old child I am sure you would agree telling him to move out in 5 days would be underreacting. I despise people who strike animals. Blood or not that is NOT acceptable behavior for anyone
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 9:41 PM on Apr. 12, 2009