Please read all pet owners and tell me what you think.

My dad is currently living with my husband and I and we just found out that my dad has been abusing my one year old dog that is apart of our family. We have had him since he was 6 months old and is the best dog any one could ever ask for. He plays with my two year old son and protects all of us with everything. He doesnt bite or ever hurt any one and my dad has been taking advantage of that. I had my knees over for the night last night and she said that my dog playfully jumped on her and my dad took his fist and hit him in the nose! She said she heard a popping noise cause he hit him so hard, I want to cry cause thats our baby. Hes like my child and I feel so bad for all the days I left him alone with my dad while I ran erronds or had to go to doc. appts.So today my husband went in his room and told him very nicely that he has to move out withen 5 days because we no longer trust him around our dog. Did we do the right thing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:40 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Pets

• absolutely no animal deserves to be treated that way regardless of the situation and if the dog was just playing with your niece and wasn't aggressive or hurting her he had no right to do this animals are a part of the family I think you did the right thing give your dog extra lovins from me :)
    ntschetter

Answer by ntschetter at 8:43 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• You've got kids to worry about; an abusive owner can scar a dog, possibly making him fear-aggressive. So yes, you did the right thing. Disciplining a dog is one thing; punching is completely different. I wouldn't tolerate anyone hurting my dog!!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 8:45 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• how old is your niece? personally, i would have approached my dad first and given him a chance to explain himself, depending on your niece's age she may has misheard something (maybe it wasn't the dog popping, maybe something else). or maybe your dad at some point has felt threatened by the dog and feels he is defending his grandchildren. if i could understand where my father was coming from i would ask him to treat the animal differently in the future and show him how to treat the dog. if he didn't have a good reason and it was just thats how you are supposed to treat an animal then i would have asked him to leave.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:47 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• You did the right thing momma. Most animal abusers also abuse people. No matter why he was living with you protect your family and your dog is also your family. You are very very lucky to have the man who is your husband, as your husband. Your father needs help but your job isn't him, your job is your immediate family including your dog. Your father is your extended family. Continue the good job you've done Keep it up. You have nothing to feel guilty about. You didn't do any thing wrong. Your father did. Your dog didn't make him slam him in the face. You father chose to do that.
    Protect your animal and human family. Stand tall Be proud.
    Anonymous

• OP... thank you all for your kind words. Im happy but sad at the same time cause I found out but dont know what hes done to my dog when Im not there. My son is with me at all times cause Im a stay at home mom and hes not allowed to be in my dads room ever and thats the only place he stay is in his room. Also for the one that mentioned my neice might have been exagerating, I posted this in relationships too so you can see my response to those who that too. Thanks again for everyone who responded.
    Anonymous

• i completely agree with sarahleemorgan =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 9:04 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Yes. Anyone that abuses an animal has some serious problems. You don't want that behavor taught to your child, and you don't want it to spill over to anyone else in the household.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 9:23 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• i'm surprised this dog doesn't avoid your father. my dogs knew they were not liked by my father and totally avoided him and he wasn't strong enough to hurt them but if he was i would bet my father would do the same. my father seems to be an angry old man. that is why he gets pushed around from one sibling to another. which is sad for i totally feel for you. he let my brothers dogs out 2 different times and both times one of his dogs got killed by a car. so that is how i ended up with him in the first place. my brother felt he did this on purpose. i see it possible but you just never know. at least you dog didn't end up dead so don't beat yourself up over the abuse you dog faced. it will be happy once he is gone.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:54 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• to the OP i'm sorry i didn't see that in relationships until you mentioned it. i'm sorry you had to pick between your pet and your father, i can't imagine having to do that myself.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:26 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• IMHO I believe you did the right thing, I agree with the other posters. It could start with the dog and then move onto children or other people. Does the dog act differently around the dad?

Tough decision, but I believe you made a correct one.. Also does his dad have any signs of dementia?
    Anonymous