how do i get my 3yr old daughter to go potty?

ive tried just about everything!! any advice??

cristy27servin

Asked by cristy27servin at 8:41 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Get rid of all the diapers and pull ups and just put her in panties and a t-shirt. Let her know what it feels like to have wet panties on and then sit her on the toilet as much as possible. If she is screaming and crying clam her down and try it again once she is calm. Consistency is the key and learning the signs she is going or needs to go and getting her to voice it as well. Let her pick out a potty seat or panties she can have only if she uses it. Try the reward system.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 8:44 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• What do you mean that you have tried everything? Examples if you can? We had our daughter run around the house naked. She started to beg to wear clothes, and we told her, she couldn't wear them till she went pee in the potty. It took 2 1/2 weeks, and she does both poo and pee.
    Anonymous

• You can put a child on a potty but you can't make her pee. I say when they are ready they are ready. I wouldn't push it to much and turn her off of it. GL
    kitkat41084

Answer by kitkat41084 at 11:40 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• My son turned 3 yesterday and I have done my best to explain to the people around me that hes simply not interested. They don't seem to get that I can't make him go. He does sit sometimes and he does pee sometimes, but he isn't consistent and he refuses to poop on the potty. I am thinking that over the summer he will likely be more interested and can go with less clothes. As much as I want him to be potty trained, I can't force him to do something that hes just not ready to do. Hes quite immature for his age too, so thats a factor as well.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:15 AM on Apr. 13, 2009

• Keep trying low-key things (never let her see you stress - mine will pick up on it in a heartbeat). I got mine some really cute panties and told her we were going to have a big girl panty party (its just her and I and home), even got a baloon and cake from the grocery store. She wore panties over the weekend at home, sure she had some accidents, but by Monday she was ready to wear them to daycare. This was at about 2.8 yo. I do stress she must have been 'ready' and it took the right time to try this.

I am by no means an expert, but it worked for me!
    AngelaMichelle

Answer by AngelaMichelle at 12:44 PM on Apr. 13, 2009

• i was like you i tried everything and my son didnt want to have anything to do with it, finally i just gave up and thought okay i will give it a break and try in a couple of weeks and then one day he came to me out of no where and said mommy i got to go poop and sure enough i put him on the potty and he pooped!!! and that was that, he is now fully potty trained...
    pswife

Answer by pswife at 7:58 PM on Apr. 13, 2009