Help with color of poop for 5 1/2 week old

I am getting some weird poops. They are blackish/gray/greenish and a lot thicker and seem to be hard for her to get out. But then, she will have a normal one in between as well then the weird color will come back. I can't figure out what it may be...any help?

HayleyGM

Asked by HayleyGM at 8:51 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• the formula will make poop green.
    Anonymous

• are you breastfeeding or formula feeding?
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 8:53 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• her digestive system is growing.... we had the same thing happen when we switched off of breast milk to formula. just keep watching it and making sure she keeps pooping!
    Mamakat90

Answer by Mamakat90 at 8:54 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• if you're breastfeeding, it could be what you're eating making her poop like this. if you're supplementing, it's because it's mixed, if it's formula, it's normal for poop to be green. if you're still worried then go ask the pedi
    Anonymous

• We are feeding her both, but less breastmilk because I think I am losing mine. But I can't figure out if its correlating because she only get breastmilk once/twice a day.
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 8:57 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• It a lot thicker too so it seems like it may hurt her to do it.
    HayleyGM

• http://www.squidoo.com/babypoop

ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 9:26 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Thanks!
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 9:56 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Talk with your pediatrician, black poop especially if she is struggling to get it out may contain blood. Your pediatrician will probably want to collect a specimin to do a hemocult test (to check for blood) and once anything serious is ruled out you can rest assure its most likely teh formula. My son is on neocate and his poop is always black and stinks like rotten eggs. It freaked us out too at first
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 10:06 PM on Apr. 12, 2009