Rolling Over...

My son is 5 months and he will push himself up off the floor and sit up pretty well by himself but he wont roll over. Any ideas on how to help him roll over?

Mamakat90

Asked by Mamakat90 at 8:58 PM on Apr. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• don't freak, every baby develops at their own pace. let him do it when he's ready. my dd is 8 months and has only rolled over maybe 4 times. heck, she won't even stand. she'll jump, but standing is not her thing. i've talked with her pedi, she says there is nothing wrong with her, she's just being lazy. i totally see why she's lazy, when she did try to roll over, my ds would put her back in her original position about halfway into the roll. lol. she won't stand cuz she knows i'm holding her and won't let go. but she'll jump lol.
    She's doing everything else, waving, clapping, babbling, picking things up with her thumb and finger, sits up on her own, reaches out for things, objects when her brother takes her toys (which these days is alot, he just turned 2), scoots around while on her back, "jumps" ect, but those 2 things, she refuses to do.
    So like i said, don't worry about it.
    Anonymous

• If he is in to toys lay him on the floor and put a toy next to him on the side just out of reach. My son is 6 months old and will literally roll across teh living room floor to get his favorite toy. It'll come and when it does you wont be able to stop him lol
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 10:04 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• Don't stress out about it. He'll do it in his own time. My oldest didn't roll over until she was 6 1/2 months old. She was pretty content to stay put in one spot. But now she is 3, very normal, very active. My youngest on the other hand rolled over before 3 months and is now walking before 1 year. So she has places to be. I sort of miss them sitting still...... But my point is, every child is so different and if he is hitting his other developmental milestones- he'll get to rolling over when he is ready. He has a lot of stuff to learn- and he just may want to learn something else first!
    Greenbeans422

Answer by Greenbeans422 at 10:32 PM on Apr. 12, 2009

• My son is 4 1/2 months old, and I have seen him roll from his belly to his back three times and thats it. He will roll to his sides, and scoot on his back, and can turn himself completely around some how like in a 180. But he doesnt seem to want to roll over. I think he scared him self doing it. Idk. I wouldnt be too worried just yet. Bring it up to your doctor at the next visit. Im sure there wont be any concern though.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 12:55 AM on Apr. 13, 2009